1200Z Problem ?

Hekate

Registered
21 Apr 2017
Normandy
Best answers
Hi everybody. Having had to rebuild following a move, have now got to the running trains stage. However I have a problem, any loco I put on the track runs by itself, very, very slowly, even with the navigator wheel on zero. The loco does not respond to any movement of the Navigator control. I have one loco with an LGB onboard decoder and this seems to run OK, and the Navigator is able to control it. It seems the problem is with Massoth XL equipped locos only. Have tried re-installing them on the system but still no luck Any ideas anybody ? Thanks.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds a little like you may have a bad connection to the track? - I suspect 'something' is causing a small DC voltage to be present, hence the loco's running slowly.
OR
Are you *sure* you have good, correct connections from the CS to the track? :think:

I would connect a single length of track to the CS, and try a few loco's on that.. - That will prove the CS is working as it should be.

Then, it is down to breaking the problem into smaller pieces..
Split the track in half, and try each half. - If one half is OK, then concentrate on the faulty half. Either split that in half, or give it a good-hard looking at.. What is on the track / wiring that could be causing the problem?

Hekate

Registered
21 Apr 2017
Normandy
Best answers
Thanks PhilP, I will try that, but would that small DC voltage prevent the Navigator from working ? After typing that, I can see that perhaps the small DC voltage puts the loco into Analogue mode and this prevents the Navi from working ?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Voltage drop can be a real curse with DCC making many of the Sound Functions unresponsive or even confused by offering a different one to that called.

Just a query, when you started the new line did you clean all the Rail Ends, Fishplates and put Graphite Paste on? May appear a bit like overkill but good practice with any second hand track on relaying or bought in second hand Track.

Hekate

Registered
21 Apr 2017
Normandy
Best answers
It was all re-assembled with Massoth rail joiners.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks PhilP, I will try that, but would that small DC voltage prevent the Navigator from working ? After typing that, I can see that perhaps the small DC voltage puts the loco into Analogue mode and this prevents the Navi from working ?

A DC component on a section of a DCC layout can cause strange effects. - Some decoders look for a DC component on the line, and 'do things'..

A feature called 'brake on DC' comes to mind, for a start.

'Creep' (where a loco crawls along the track, with no control from the handset) is quite common. - Usually on bigger layouts, several loco's running, and possibly with a number of handsets being used.
We get this at the Chasewater layout. Sometimes, it can be such a nuisance, we turn everything off and put the kettle on! - Seriously, a two-minute 'all power off' can do wonders. :nerd::):nod:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A depressing thought:
A 'blown' output transistor on a decoder can cause a loco to 'creep'.. Usually one direction, with no control. Lights etc. may still be controllable.
:(