1:32 scale

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Hi I’ve seen some Piko buildings online says they are G Scale but also 1:32 scale am I missing something?

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
Kev, you haver stumbled on the wonderful world of "G scale"! It has been discussed on here many many times. Try doing a search or someone will be along soon to tell you. I would but I have my orders to get my arse into the garden to help SWMBO!

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Kev, you haver stumbled on the wonderful world of "G scale"! It has been discussed on here many many times. Try doing a search or someone will be along soon to tell you. I would but I have my orders to get my arse into the garden to help SWMBO!
I’ve been getting to grips with G Scale since March last year, thought I was cracking it and Piko G Scale buildings I google for show 1:22.5 so not sure what’s going on with the others I’ve found

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
G scale (sic) is quite eclectic /elastic..

So.......
The gauge of the track, suggests 'gauge 1'.- Which could be 1:32, or could be 1:29.

The models, could be 'standard gauge' - representing a 4' 8 1/2" prototype.
Or, European metre-gauge, which comes out at 1:22.5

Funnily enough, 1:22.5 also gives you 4' 8 1/2" standard gauge, on gauge 3 track.

So.....
'it's complicated' :D

PhilP

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I hope this doesn't complicate things any more but these graphics were on the Argyle Loco Works web site [https://argyleloco.com.au/] and they help me understand the issues a bit...
cheers,
Ian
scale1.jpg
scale-gauges-live-steam.jpg

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Basically, in some areas you can mix different scales without creating problems. For example, using 1:32 scale vehicles in the background on a layout can work because they give a feeling of depth to the viewer, but using them alongside 1:22. railway stock, they would look far too small.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Tis all what you are prepared to accept. Acres of mega bits have been seen in the forum discussing the merits of G scale and the sundry scales that can be used within the Genre. I use Piko wagons on my LGB Rollblocks as SG wagons with the axles shoved out to Gauge 3, but I also use a Piko 2-10-2t that is based on a Standard Gauge (SG) prototype, a few tweaks with centre couplings make it look like a Narrow Metre (NG) Gauge loco. The Piko Kamel is available in SG and NG forms same scale but BoBo and CoCo, I have the NG CoCo one for my Harz setup, but it is clearly under scale however I can live with that.

G scale is a bit of a mess but great if you are a bit selective and use things with sense, 1:32 buildings can make great effects by making your space look bigger with forced perspective if used just a little further back on your line (if you can) but will clearly look odd if next to 1:24 trains.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
the germans are to blame!

when LGB made a new line of toys in 1968, they called them "Gartenbahn" and "Grossbahn" (English: "Gardentrain" and "Largetrain" )
the rest was pride and confusion.
the British influenced world named that stuff "G Scale".
the US influenced world settled for "Largescale".
both misnamed.
because the world of "G" scales consists of many scales. but just one "Gauge" ("Guage" for the Northamericans).

in short, the German word "Gummi" translates as "Rubber".
so, "G-scale" = "rubber-scale".

figuren-24-feb1.jpg

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
At one time Piko did a range of guage 1 buildings. Most of the bits were the same as g but a bit lower, bits missing from the bottoms of walls. The doors had lintels above to make them smaller.
(If I have spelt the bits over the door wrong it's this spell checker which doesn't like l i n t e l s & keeps changing it)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You have to be a bit careful, but it's your layout, so if you like what it looks like there's no problem. If you believe it looks to small, place it towards the rear of the layout and with a bit of clever planting, it'll blend in fine

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
At one time Piko did a range of guage 1 buildings. Most of the bits were the same as g but a bit lower, bits missing from the bottoms of walls. The doors had lintels above to make them smaller.
(If I have spelt the bits over the door wrong it's this spell checker which doesn't like l i n t e l s & keeps changing it)
Why not turn the spell checker off!