1/20th Vs. 1/24th Vehicles

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Hi guys! I've recently decided to add a few vehicles to my train layouts. I first bought a 1/24th Danbury Mint 1/24th Ford 1925 Model T Runabout,and a 1/24th Johnny Lightning 1925 Kenworth delivery truck.

Both look good to my eyes, but a little small when set up by my Pola #925 Freight Shed, and Pola #G1807 Central City Station.
I did find a thread stating that the proper scale vehicles for these trains, and buildings is actually more like 1/20th scale.
So, I went on Ebay, and I found several 1/20th scale models of 1910's-1920's period vehicles.
I decided to purchase a Gabriel/Hubley diecast 1/20th scale 1912 Ford Depot Hack.
It's used, and already assembled. It's a little dilapidated,and needed some minor reassembly(already done) when it arrived yesterday. It also needs some repainting,and new tires( I already purchased an incomplete Gabriel/Hubley parts kit for $20.00 on Ebay).
But it was cheap ($22.00),and I like it.
The problem is that it looks a little big alongside the buildings ,and my LGB Drovers Caboose.
I've posted a few pictures of all 3 cars in front of both buildings. I'm thinking that the 1/20th scale vehicles are the way to go on this.
Please take a look at the included photos and let me know what your opinions on this matter are.
Andrew Shed.jpgShed1.jpgShed2.jpgStation.jpgStation1.jpg

Attachments

• Station0.jpg
    Station0.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps a photo of the vehicles with one of the figures you mostly use would give a better idea. When I go looking for model cars I always carry a 1/24 scale man as a guide as my preference for rolling stock is in the 1/24 - 1/26 range. There are a few diecast manufacturers whose baseplate scales are subject to the rubber ruler syndrome. Welly is a prime example.

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Here's the 1:22.5 scale figure that I call "George".He's made by Bachmann for their G Scale equipment.
He's as close as I can come to 1/24th scale in a figure without removing one of the Woodland Scenics figures from my Pola Freight Station,which they are all glued in place,and not easily removable.
Andrew20200922_143842.jpg

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Andrew, that helps. From what I remember about Bachmann figures they were more to the 1/20.3 scale. I found them too large for my needs. Having said that he looks more at home in that truck. I feel the other two vehicles are a little small in comparison. The green model T also looks good with your building. I think you may be better sticking with 1/20 or thereabouts. LGB are fond of using the rubber ruler and their scales seem to cover the whole G scale spectrum. I am assuming your caboose errs more towards the Aristo/USA trains 1/29 scale.

Last edited:

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Actually, someone on another forum just posted that LGB is generally around 1/26th.
Which strikes me as funny, as the LGB stuff seems to match up very well with my Piko, Aristocraft,and Bachmann rolling stock and locomotives.
So,it would seem that most of these Large Scale manufacturers are all over the size scale when it comes to their trains.
I guess if a person wants consistency in the size of their trains,it would be better to stick with the same manufacturer for all of ones train needs.
Which is exactly my problem as I have trains from Aristocraft , Bachmann, Lionel, Hartland, Kalamazoo, LGB, USA Trains, Piko, and Pola.
Kind of made a mess for myself,eh?
LOL! I love all of them in spite of their obvious scale differences.
Have you ever hooked a Delton, Hartland,or Kalamazoo passenger car up with a Bachmann Jackson Sharpe passenger car?
It's like putting a minnow nose to tail with a whale.
It looks funny, but it works.
Anyway, here's a pic of George riding in the back of the Hubley. I put it next to my LGB Queen Mary Series #4175 Drovers Caboose to give you a size comparison between the caboose and the truck.
The Hubley actually doesn't look too bad next to the caboose.
I think that you're right, and I will probably go with the 1/20th stuff to go with the majority of my trains as the 1/24th scale stuff, while offered in a much broader array of different vehicles, is likely too small to go well with the larger Bachmann, LGB,and Piko locomotives , and rolling stock.

George.jpg

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Andrew, I guess it depends on what your modeling and indeed in what scale you are modeling. G scale, as has been said, is very imprecise. Different manufacturers have different interpretations of G scale and some (LGB) actually vary within their own ranges. I suppose that G scale is normally run on 45mm track but what are you running on that? For example is it standard gauge assuming that the 45mm is 4‘ 8.5”, or are you narrow gauge and the 45mm is 3’. From this you can work out if you are looking at 1/20th or 1/24th or indeed something else. However if it looks good to you, Rule * applies ;-)

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The Pola buildings are nominally 1:22.5 which matches LGB's nominal European and US narrow gauge scale. This is why most 1:24 vehicles seem small in comparison. The green truck actually looks pretty good to me. Sure its 1:20?

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Hi. The green Depot Hack was made by Hubley/Gabriel. They offered several different models of vintage, early 20th Century American cars in 1/20 scale. I did find a couple of other cars made by them in 1/22 scale, but they are too late for my purposes.
I'm trying to keep the vehicles no later than 1925,and the 1/22 scale vehicles they offered are 1929-1931,and I believe that they are too "new" to go with the 1912 Depot Hack.
Not to mention possibly too small to fit in well with it.
There are a couple of other kits in 1/20 that I'm interested in,so I'll probably be pursuing them soon.
Andrew

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
I bought some vintage vehicle kits by ICM - a 1911 model T Ford touring car, a 1910 Renault taxi and a 1912 Model T gasoline delivery van with a set of figures. All 1/24 scale. I believe they are made in the Ukraine but not sure what other scales they might offer.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I bought some vintage vehicle kits by ICM - a 1911 model T Ford touring car, a 1910 Renault taxi and a 1912 Model T gasoline delivery van with a set of figures. All 1/24 scale. I believe they are made in the Ukraine but not sure what other scales they might offer.
Yep, quite tricky to build - still working on the Model T Speedster :whew::whew:

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
Regardless of the many random G scale things I own, I stick to 1:24 for my buildings, which are all scratchbuilt.
This standard was arrived at in my early days when all my trains were 1:24 Delton and Kalamazoo. I've stuck with that scale, even though I now run some Aristo 1:89 stuff and some LGB and B'Mann 1:22.4. I avoid 1:20 like the plague as it's enormous next to my stuff. My vehicles are all 1:24 or 1:25, mostly the diecast banks, and my figures are home made 1:24, with a nominal height of 3". It all works well.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
When considering scales and sizes of vehicles and buildings, there is another thing to bear in mind - while most G scale kit buildings (Pola etc) have features like doors and windows the "correct" scale - usually 1:22.5 - the OVERALL SIZE and footprint of the building is usually considerably scaled down to allow them to fit on typical smaller layouts.
This was particularly brought home to me when I bought my two handbuilt Harz station models (Ilfeld and Drei Annen Hohne) from a German maker, Gunther Kossow; they are both built to the "correct" scale footprint and they are HUGE compared with even the largest Pola G kit-built station!

Tolleshunt show pic small.jpeg

Station 13.jpg

In the end, I think it is all down to one principle: if it LOOKS right to you, then it is IS right (or certainly right enough)!

Jon.

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
Exactly right, Zerogee. keeping both my buildings' overall bulk and especially their footprints down to a reasonable size was a definite consideration when I stayed with 1:24. if anything my structures may on close examination appear slightly small next to 1:22 equipment. The same goes for the people and vehicles, but nobody notices this tiny 8% infraction. Our focus is supposed to be on the trains, and since they're moving, the eye does focus on the trains, while the scenic items take their rightful place in the background. The smaller footprint of my buildings is a real virtue. I learned this lesson decades ago. The great John Allen made a point of modellng small structures that would not overwhelm the trains. My decision has held very well for many years and I wouldn't think of changing it. Besides, 1:24 is the original scale of Large Scale trains in the Americas, and, despite all the contrary tendencies, I'm naturally proud that I have stuck with it.

Last edited:

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Actually, someone on another forum just posted that LGB is generally around 1/26th.
Which strikes me as funny, as the LGB stuff seems to match up very well with my Piko, Aristocraft,and Bachmann rolling stock and locomotives.
So,it would seem that most of these Large Scale manufacturers are all over the size scale when it comes to their trains.
I guess if a person wants consistency in the size of their trains,it would be better to stick with the same manufacturer for all of ones train needs.
Which is exactly my problem as I have trains from Aristocraft , Bachmann, Lionel, Hartland, Kalamazoo, LGB, USA Trains, Piko, and Pola.
Kind of made a mess for myself,eh?
LOL! I love all of them in spite of their obvious scale differences.
Have you ever hooked a Delton, Hartland,or Kalamazoo passenger car up with a Bachmann Jackson Sharpe passenger car?
It's like putting a minnow nose to tail with a whale.
It looks funny, but it works.
Anyway, here's a pic of George riding in the back of the Hubley. I put it next to my LGB Queen Mary Series #4175 Drovers Caboose to give you a size comparison between the caboose and the truck.
The Hubley actually doesn't look too bad next to the caboose.
I think that you're right, and I will probably go with the 1/20th stuff to go with the majority of my trains as the 1/24th scale stuff, while offered in a much broader array of different vehicles, is likely too small to go well with the larger Bachmann, LGB,and Piko locomotives , and rolling stock.

View attachment 273589
So why not just go with 1/22 for your vehicles Or is there not much out there in this scale?

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
Very little if any, Zman. So that's another point for 1:24, isn't it? The diecasts are 1:24, and the AMT plastic kits are 1:25. There are also 1:32 diecasts which are tiny by comparison, but perfect for #1 scale, available in the greatest variety, and very inexpensive by comparison. If you're buying diecast vehicles be very certain of the scale you're getting!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Here in the UK, 1:20 vehicles are not easy to find, so despite my locos and rolling stock being 1:20.3, vehicles are 1:24 and buildings are whatever Mr Pola decides they'll be ;)

I'm wanting to rebuild the Green River depot over the winter, so that may come out a bit nearer 1:20 in height :nod::nod:

All I have is some windows so far :think:

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
I'm in Canada. I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle in 1:20, either here or in the 'States.
A limited selection of mostly modern cars in 1:18 is readily available --- for a price.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'm in Canada. I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle in 1:20, either here or in the 'States.
A limited selection of mostly modern cars in 1:18 is readily available --- for a price.
Well, that's where Rkygriz started in post #1 with some 1:20 diecast vehicles.

There are some 1:18 over here, as well as being a tad pricey, as you say, they are also a bit too large to the eye.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Just as an aside, I find it really annoying that all the lovely farm machinery toy/models - that would otherwise be so useful as flat car loads and such - are either in 1/16 (way too big) or 1/32 (way too small).... over the years I've found just a couple of tractor models that appear to be nearer to 1/24 or so....

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
My layout is European, so 1:22.5 is my scale for most of my trains, although I do have a some Piko 1:29 Standard Gauge which doesn't look out of place next to the LGB.

All my vehicles are 1:24 or thereabouts. This looks about right to my eyes?

I've seen the 1:18 scale vehicles at model villages such as Merrivale or Babbacoombe, where the buildings are to a similar scale, but dwarf the LGB trains that run alongside.

The 1:18 vehicles are more readily available in the UK and would probably work with 16mm (1:19)....