0-4-0 Porter

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
I just saw one of these in a local workshop today. Made in China but not by any well known manufacturers.

Look a bit familiar dont they. Anyhow they have a smaller and longer boiler but the gas tank is undersized. Looking up the manufacturers web site (and it is only wholesale, minimum purchase of 10) the next run will improve the burning. Made in batches of 50.

A local retailer here is selling them.

The wheels look smaller than what we might be familiar with and the boiler is lower and the overhang not so great.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
No I hadn't checked but I have now had a closer look at a few points since you raised the question.

I am now not sure that the boiler is any longer as the cab is sitting forward because of the small wheels.

For what you are implying the boiler would come pretty close, but it would need larger wheels and the body would have to be set back giving quite a bit of overhang. A new saddle tank would also be required.

For those all wondering hat the hell are Grant and I talking about is a build of one of 8 little 0-4-0 Baldwin loco's which came into this country.

Two survive as static exhibits, one in WA, "Kia Ora" and the other in Darwin, "Sandfly".

Two were used by the Melbourne harbour Trust, two by Sorrento Tramway and the other two in different logging roles.

This pic builders photo as delivered to Newell's Melbourne agents for Baldwin.

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
MMm, looks like a Ruby rip off? Accu cab fittings though......tooling sold off to another factory?

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
New Haven Neil - 8/12/2009 7:25 PM

MMm, looks like a Ruby rip off? Accu cab fittings though......tooling sold off to another factory?

You will observe that I have been very careful so as not to start any conflict. Not naming any names.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Sorrento Tram and Kia Ora.

The Sorrento Tram loco had its stack increased in height so that the smoke went over the top of the tramcars which it pulled.

The trams were very similar to the Bachmann Open street cars.
Have not included pic at this stage as i need to resize.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Here is a pic of "Kauila" from Hawawi? .
This is the 1900 version and is not the original stack. It had a lot of different stacks during its lifetime.

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Rather like the down under Balwins, pretty engines for an American design...

The loco does look familiar, but certain aspects of it look somewhat better than a Ruby. Apparently there is also an Edrig in all but name availiable.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Nice little loco though, and looks like it could be easily modded to look more UK based

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
tac - 8/12/2009 9:12 PM

corgi - 8/12/2009 6:16 AM

I just saw one of these in a local workshop today. Made in China but not by any well known manufacturers.

Look a bit familiar dont they. Anyhow they have a smaller and longer boiler but the gas tank is undersized. Looking up the manufacturers web site (and it is only wholesale, minimum purchase of 10) the next run will improve the burning. Made in batches of 50.

A local retailer here is selling them.

The wheels look smaller than what we might be familiar with and the boiler is lower and the overhang not so great.

If I remember creckly there was a short movie clip of one of these on a small circular track, running by a 1/24th scale QJ, that was posted on another US-based forum last year.....there was a LOT of conjecture and chin-stroking, some of it not particularly supportive. The little loco, however, seemed to be a very good steamer.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

I think from memory it was on GSM and there was some conjecture as to whether it was a Bachmann.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
It appears to be a no name brand. They also have an 0-6-0 available but it is not a pretty beast. :(

Charles M

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Arvada, Colorado, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Had several runs with one of these. No even the same quality as a Ruby !! Smaller boiler , very light construction. Gas tank was bowed . Run times varied from 8 minutes to 13 minutes max. It runs like a rocket or not at all . With the smaller cylinders it needs a dead flat run , or it will stall. I was not impressed . The owner of said loco sent it onto to " someone else " for a look see. It was then to be returned to the manufacturer by the " someone else" . We will let you fill in the blanks !

The Accucraft "Earl" model in live steam is of Rolls-Royce quality compared to this thing and I have the "Earl" so I can say this.

Charles M

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
corgi - 9/12/2009 6:58 AM

It appears to be a no name brand. They also have an 0-6-0 available but it is not a pretty beast. :(

Correction: Its brand name is Bowande. Toy manufacturers who market it as a toy.

The one I saw in the workshop only had a 6 minute run time although the manufacturer states 10 minutes. Thgis one also had a broken hinge on the smokebox door and the wheel flanges would probanly have problems on LGB points.

I have also found the youtube video which has been referred to.

Just google up, "0-4-0 porter live steam model" and you will get all the guts on it.

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Anyone got any photos of the 0-6-0?

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
brianthesnail96 - 9/12/2009 9:18 AM

Anyone got any photos of the 0-6-0?

I just went back into the site and although the 0-6-0 is advertised in part as a live steam it is actually electric and runs on 8vdc.

The brand is given as brand so I guess you can add your own brand.

I have a pic but it has the manufacturers details are emblazened across it.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Wuhu of China are the actual builders. They make brass models in many scales, like many of the other brass makers of the past in S. Korea, Japan and China, to be imported under different names.

http://bowande.en.ec21.com/

GlenF

G Scale, LGB, British 16mm, Live steam and electri
24 Oct 2009
Michigan, USA
www.flickr.com
Best answers
Here's a link to a Chinese-based site that also sells them. You can buy them singly or in bulk.

http://wholesale.alibaba.com/product-gs/264138792-Steam-train-model-wholesalers.html

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Hmm, no 1:32 Glaskasten there tho? Wonder what it and the V200 cost?

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
That 0-6-0 has a lot of bashability. Ta for the pic.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Look again, it is a 2-4-0 actually....