Chipping LGB 2067 Track Cleaner

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
Edited Solution

The below image is for the way i managed to get this to work via the help from the participants to the thread.
I have made an easy to read diagram for anyone going to attempt this engine with a decoder hopefully better than the Massoth wiki.

The below set up used
  • 1x RTE24024 Schrack Relay
  • 1x 8150001 XL-Decoder
  • 1x Diode
2067install.jpg

JMRI settings

The easiest way i found to get the lights to flash was to add each light to a decoder channel then use the following setting to get them to blink. See A3 and A4 and link them to turn on via F2 with the motor.
Set F2 to turn on in standard driving direction only.
I replaced all the bulbs with 19v so set the voltage output 26

JMRI.jpg

Video of the track cleaner testing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, starting another thread. whilst waiting for my DCC to get working i have started chipping my track cleaner. I have had a look around the forum for anyone else who may have done this correctly but no luck. I am programming it using a sprog 3 using JMRI.

I have tried following the massoth guide. but the guide is not the best translation from German.

So far i have

• Removed the PCB and added a Massoth XL to the loco.
  • Converted the motor to 4 wire.
  • Connected up all the lights.
The wires coming from the front motor

DSC_0024.JPG

• White to +22V
  • Brown to front light
  • Green to -A2
  • Using JRMI i set A2 to only run in the forward direction.
I tested it on a LGB MTS3. the track cleaning motor just span at full speed without turning it on first. This confused me as it worked using the sprog fine. I have since taken it apart and anything plugged in to A2 is always on, so must be faulty now. plugging it into A1 for example the cleaning motor just spins for less then a second. I have tested it on two XL chips and they do the same.

I have purchased the relay in the massoth instructions. just waiting for delivery .

Can anyone explain what the Relay is actualy used for? or have a clearer wiring diagram?

Last edited:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think u can conect the cleaning motor directly to the chip ..u need to add on a relay.and wire it to the chip...the cleaning motor is activated by the relay

D

Deleted member 1986

Edit:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Do NOT connect the cleaning motor directly to the decoder function outputs.. you switch the relay (with a function output), and this feeds power to the cleaning motor.
You can also set it so the cab-roof lights flash alternately when the cleaning motor is on. - Though this might be beyond you for a first-time installation.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I respectfully suggest you check the product number and amend the topic title.
In the old four digit numbering system the suffix D (Dampf) was used to indicate that the loco had a smoke unit fitted.
My sense of humour suggests that you may be tempting fate! :eek:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I respectfully suggest you check the product number and amend the topic title.
In the old four digit numbering system the suffix D (Dampf) was used to indicate that the loco had a smoke unit fitted.
My sense of humour suggests that you may be tempting fate! :eek:

Could be why the OP is fitting a decoder!??
Possibly there has already been a release of 'magic smoke'?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Yes to all the above. The cleaning motor pulls far too much current for the function contacts on the chip. This is why you need the relay. the reason your cleaning motor runs for a moment and then stops is because you chip is closing down to protect its self.

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
Hello, thanks for the info guys. I was unaware the relay was needed until I found the massoth wiki. all going well I have ordered the relay and will install it when it arrives . the chip is working fine apart from A2. when I had it assembled for testing the top lights do flash intermittently by putting either light into A3 and the other into A4. then setting themy to flash intermittent using JRMI then setting there on button to A2 with the cleaning motor. if

If i get stuck in could always pop over to Chacewater Phil?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Seeing as how you have sorted the flashing lights, it looks like you are finding your way around the JRMI software just fine.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello, thanks for the info guys. I was unaware the relay was needed until I found the massoth wiki. all going well I have ordered the relay and will install it when it arrives . the chip is working fine apart from A2. when I had it assembled for testing the top lights do flash intermittently by putting either light into A3 and the other into A4. then setting themy to flash intermittent using JRMI then setting there on button to A2 with the cleaning motor. if

If i get stuck in could always pop over to Chacewater Phil?

PM me if you get stuck..
Is it also you with the Piko CS problem? - I will be going down to GRS in the near future, if that would help?

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
I have been using JMRI for around a couple of years so much easier than trying to learn CV numbers etc for beginners. i have done quite a few engines now just decided the track cleaner needed doing as it wont work on digital when it was analogue.

Ok cheers Phil. My dads taking the Piko back next week to test the unit.

D

Deleted member 1986

Edit:

Reactions: 1 users

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
hello, so this evening i have fitted the Relay to the correct wiring layout above.

DSC_0054.JPG

Red to +24
Black to A3
Black from 11 connection block to Green track cleaning motor
White from +24 to 14 Relay

So far im only getting a switch sound coming from the Relay when i press F3 and no track cleaning motor spinning.
Im not sure if im using the correct diode for the job as the one on Massoth wiki is tiny compared. Its from a Gaugemaster point switch i had laying around. Could someone recommend the correct diode to use/see anything else i may have done in error from my photo.
Lights work fine. i even removed the track motor and connected it to a analogue controller and worked fine also.

many thanks Rich

D

Deleted member 1986

Edit:

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
Negative (GND) to cleaning motor?

hey Arthur, can you help me with where wire runs from? im looking on the images and can't see where to connect it.
I have added an easier breakdown so far and see if i have gone wrong.

DSC_0054.JPG

thanks rich

Last edited:

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
In that photo, where is the other wire for the cleaning motor? It should be connected to decoder ground I think? Assuming that the decoder + and ground circuitry can handle the current of the motor under load?

D

Deleted member 1986

Edit:

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
The white coming from the front is the Plus and the green is the negative. I have it kinda working now by connecting a wire to 12 on the relay then to -GND on the decoder. the issue i now have is the motor spins as soon as power is enabled and i have to turn it off by pressing F3 to on. Could this be due to diode direction error? if i connect 14 to the -GND the motor spins for a second and the decoder shuts down.

D

Deleted member 1986

Edit:

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
hello, thanks for all that info, it should help determine the issue.

I have set up the decoder to motor configuration to the above.
11 is to track cleaning motor.
14 to GND on decoder.
Please see the link to the video of what happens. Link1 The sound you can hear is the motor starting to turn but stopping almost instantly. If the track cleaner is moving on the track and i enable A3 it will stop as if the decoder is shutting down.

If i bridge the connection across 11 to 14 with a wire the track cleaner will work fine Link. So im guessing the Relay is the problem.

I also tried setting it up via
11 is to track cleaning motor.
12 on the relay to GND.
This will make the track cleaner motor start instantly when i apply track power. The switch in the relay is defaulted on in that position i believe. See video link 2 to turn it off i have to enable A3. So far this is the most success to getting it to work.

If i have 14 from the relay connected to the Front lights. it works as it should see Link

I guess i could try another relay?

Rich