Wrekin & Edrig in the Snow!

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Hi all
Another video I'm afraid! Here is my Wrekin and modified Edrig double headed in the dusting of snow this morning. Temperature was about zero so only a brief session. Both are fitted with the internal chimney extensions but were not really working hard.

You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPZRZYpy9sM or on the news page of my website. Cheers Chris

hobbyfossi201

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi Chris,

thanks for sharing your impressions, they look marvelous to me.
regards
Klaus

E

Elmtree Line

Superb!

i need to get some chuffers fitted to my fleet, but ned to find someone to fit them for me as i'm not confident in doing such a task myself :banghead:

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Thanks guys!
Keith there are four fitters on my website - and one not too far from you. I had a quick look at the great photos on your Flikr site - Lady Anne really is pretty easy, but the Fowler isn't (at least not if those screws holding the smoke-box to the footplate are hidden behind the pipes).
I am happy to discuss it off group if you want to send me a PM.
Cheers
Chris

E

Elmtree Line

Thanks Chris, I love Live Steam :D

I will take you up on your offer of discussing further off thread.

GHWood

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Isle Of Man
sites.google.com
Best answers
Still think that Edrig tender conversion is the Bees Knees!

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
How about some pics and a story on the Edrig build.

Great shots.

Clive Elesmore

Registered
17 Dec 2009
Guernsey, Channel Islands
Best answers
Great video. I ran my Accucraft 2 cylinder shay this afternoon. Took quite a while to get up to pressure in the cold temperatures. After an unusually long wait I splashed the gas tank with warm water from the kettle. No worries after that.
Did you preheat the water for you boilers or is your burner more efficient than mine? I am using Butane only, not a mix of any kind, I have been warned off of those.

Thank goodness this lot is thawing down here!

Clive

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Thanks Clive
In fact I steamed both up in the garage first and then re-gassed as I wanted a clear run to do enough takes. Had the usual fun and games with the blowlamp effect but they soon settled down. I only ever use butane/propane mix in the Winter as Butane has no vapour pressure at 0 degrees. I use Butane when the weather warms up.
As a matter of interest, is your Shay the Mich/Cal version or the open cab? I am really keen to get some chimney measurements on the latter........
Cheers
Chris

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers