Work Car

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
Mik on largescale central came up with agreat idea by having a builders challenge. We had something like 2 weeks to buid something and could not cost more the $20. Basically had to use what was on hand. It took me some time to decided what to build. I looked through pages of magazines. Then I though hey I have been wanting to build a work car. I had everything on hand but did I have enough time. I figured why not try. I started on Sunday. I first painted a Hartland flat car. Then I added some decking to the flat. On Monday I was off from work and all alone. I started on the shack and fence in the morning. Later in the evening when the kids went to bed I finished putting siding on the shack and detailing the window frames etc... On Tusday I made a roof using styrene and masking tape for the top coat. The chimmney was added as well as all the details. Once the glue dried I weathered the wood parts and tools some what. Then today the final touches were done and is now ready. Overall im pretty impressed. I did not think I had it in me to scratch build soemthing like this. Total cost $0. I had all the wood on hand. The HLW flat was an extra I had. All of the detailed parts were left overer from my Dunkirk project that ordered before the challenge (Which is also done). I have to thank my pin nailer, I could not have done it whithout you.

2cp6zyv.jpg

2lsfgx0.jpg

2isv380.jpg

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Very nice i like :clap:

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
That looks really good , may be an idea for a competition on here

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice.

I've often seen these type of cars on US themed railroads, but what's the equivalent in the UK? Maybe a converted coach?

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Martino said:
Very nice.

I've often seen these type of cars on US themed railroads, but what's the equivalent in the UK? Maybe a converted coach?

Martino this link might be one answer your question: http://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/LNER_Brake_1.htm

there are proably many other variations. I expect a guards van/ballast plow also acted in the same way as they had staaff accomodation and stoves in like the american item.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
A brilliant job and I love the detail down to an adze and wood saw.
Jealous!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Shawn said:
Mik on largescale central came up with agreat idea by having a builders challenge. We had something like 2 weeks to buid something and could not cost more the $20. Basically had to use what was on hand. It took me some time to decided what to build. I looked through pages of magazines. Then I though hey I have been wanting to build a work car. I had everything on hand but did I have enough time. I figured why not try. I started on Sunday. I first painted a Hartland flat car. Then I added some decking to the flat. On Monday I was off from work and all alone. I started on the shack and fence in the morning. Later in the evening when the kids went to bed I finished putting siding on the shack and detailing the window frames etc... On Tusday I made a roof using styrene and masking tape for the top coat. The chimmney was added as well as all the details. Once the glue dried I weathered the wood parts and tools some what. Then today the final touches were done and is now ready. Overall im pretty impressed. I did not think I had it in me to scratch build soemthing like this. Total cost $0. I had all the wood on hand. The HLW flat was an extra I had. All of the detailed parts were left overer from my Dunkirk project that ordered before the challenge (Which is also done). I have to thank my pin nailer, I could not have done it whithout you.

2isv380.jpg
D'you mean to tell me that hobo isn't riding on my log wagon any more ?
:wave:
8bf32548fb454702ad6a952565145514.jpg

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Dave Hub said:
Martino said:
Very nice.

Martino this link might be one answer your question: http://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/LNER_Brake_1.htm

there are proably many other variations. I expect a guards van/ballast plow also acted in the same way as they had staaff accomodation and stoves in like the american item.

Good link Dave, Thanks.

Never seen one of those. I guess I always assumed that the guards van would be used on small jobs and that if it was a more elaborate task, then there would be a converted coach as a mess van. For day to day maintenance, I 'spose the platelayer's huts would provide the shelter and base for work.

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
Rhinochugger said:
Shawn said:

2isv380.jpg
D'you mean to tell me that hobo isn't riding on my log wagon any more ?
:wave:
images

LOL he moved up in the world. Now he is riding in style LOL