Wiring up a setrack crossing

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
While planning my garden railway, I happened to stumble across the excellent scissors crossovers designed solely using LGB set track, Im now very tempted to incorporate into my plan, but tm just tryibng to work out how to wire it for DC.

My first guess would be 5 sections, one each for the points and one for the crossover, with the feeds from the toe end of each points.
But my head tells me it could be done a lot simpler,

Ive included a simple wiring schematic showing my idea, any ideas gratefully received,

and original thread is found here:

http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=72675&mpage=2

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Your wiring diagram is the "belt and braces" method and would give you total flexibility of routing. It all depends what sort of moves you plan on making through the cross-over and what lies beyond each arm. As drawn, with all the main-line arms controlled through on/off switches, you could run up to three trains:-
1. Train A from top left to bottom right
2. Train B from bottom left to top left
3. Train C from top right to bottom left

You could simplify it by omitting the breaks between the turnouts on the outer straight arms, for the loss of much operational variety - in effect, unless trains can be held elsewhere on the layout, you're limited to one train running and able to change from the inner to outer tracks.

Another (small) potential saving - the crossing section would hardly need its own on/off switch. I'm assuming here it's all-routes-live, like the turnouts, so doesn't need a change-over switch according to which route is being taken through the X. I'm also assuming that the cross-over is not part of a reverse loop route, which probably would not change the section breaks, but would change the type of switch controlling the X section.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I suspect that, dependant on the rest of your wiring, up to half of your track breaks are redundant.
I also suspect that you could make up my suggestion without any insulating joiners by cutting the relevant links under the points instead.
034b9d703d594fa68130c7041c43eb38.jpg