dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have started this thread as whilst I was doing some paperwork tidying I found a leaflet. But first stay with me please, I will start off with my Wilesco Stationary Steam Plant. There are also Traction Engines but I have never been seduced by one at a reasonable price.

The stationary plant came from a charity shop in St.Neots. A drinking friend volunteered in this shop and mentioned that they had a couple of “Steam Engines” that they were unsure about how much to ask for. I visited to see the engines, did a bit of research and suggested some prices. I was offered both at a lower ‘cash now’ price than I suggested. I jumped at the Wilesco but suggested they still try the higher price for the Mamod Steam Car. Much to their delight the Steam Car disappeared at the asked for price within a day or two. I did offer some more money for the Wilesco but they were glad to have got the near £200 for both items so quickly and thanked me for my help. So here is the steam plant. Clearly it is a slip eccentric reverse jobby as can be seen from the final picture. I have still not got round to steaming it despite having it for over 4 years now.
D36832B2-06E0-49F7-8E83-A0B0B2F81C3C.jpegC485854A-D90F-44A7-B6E0-B8434BB9EDC0.jpegD9387F44-A653-47BF-BE12-D863D2737B20.jpeg
Now we come to the main event, the Wilesco Spreewald live steam loco. I picked up this brochure somewhere in Germany I think, cant remember when but I think it would have been around the turn of the century. I have never seen one of these in the flesh, whilst it looks somewhat naive it does have a certain charm. Any one in the forum have or seen one?
3CAE5042-4353-4C2D-8EBC-4020670CC481.jpeg9985B027-1F81-4C79-B595-C815CA29E616.jpeg
It clearly was produced as shown by the following long gone auction information.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've only seen one in steam once - it was, to say the least, problematical. I have the contact for a Wilesco sorter-outerer based in nearby Wisbech, if you need any assistance in that regard. SA few years back he totally rebuilt my much-loved and almost worn out 'Old Smokey', bought back in 1978 in Moenchen-Gladbach, converting it to gas-firing.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Wilesco steam plant and a steam fire engine with working pump, but I have never seen any reference to the loco.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, I saw the locomotive in a large but now defunct toy shop in Loughborough many years ago. It didn’t grab me. I have the vertical boiler model and a few other bits of Wilesco knocking about in the shed.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
If it had been painted in the proper colors, it might have gained more sales, but it was crude looking, even the LGB electric version looks better. I have had a few Wilesco steam engines over the years, they ran well with light use.