Widest radius curve available

Trainman2

Registered
23 Sep 2020
St Louis
Best answers
Country flag
Old to indoor G scale, but new to outdoor. I was wondering what the widest curve available is, and who makes it.

Are the numbers compatible between Piko and LGB, (meaning, is piko r1 the same size as LGB r1, etc.).

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
nope, all over the map...

see the chart on this page for the different R numbers

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I would go for flexible track, you can have what you want, and even proper transition curves.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The widest sectional track was made by Aristo Craft, NOS (new old stock) can still be found.

I think they had 20' diameter curves....

If you are just starting out, or fitting track to a constrained space, I understand the desire for sectional track, then you can use a track planning software.

It helped me a great deal to do "what if's" and getting the broadest curves in the tightest space (it's not just the curves, but fitting switches too)

I had to wrap the track around the house, planters, etc.

trackplan.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
by Aristo Craft, NOS (new old stock) can still be found.
Yes. There's a chart showing the various radii, rail material, and tie types (Euro, etc.,) making for a mind-boggling manufacturing exercise.

I bought myself a complete circle NOS of 12.5 ft diam track, as the planters on my condo garage are 14 ft wide. (I found the box after hurricane Ian with a piece missing!)

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
USA Trains/Charles Ro has 16 and 20 foot diameter track.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
USA Trains/Charles Ro has 16 and 20 foot diameter track.
The widest almost the width of my garden where outside 8ft diameter (4ft radius) rules.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Not all of us have the space... 10' diameter is my minimum but many places 14', and almost all #6 switches on the mainline.

Took a lot of work to eliminate the S curves, and crossovers with #4 switches.

That's why I used sectional track, to make the "what if" analysis easier... If I had started with flex, I'm sure I would have had tighter curves. I had to fit in a confined space.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Indeed buy flex track or make your own...how big you want it? i can make it, if i can make it, you can make it.
Templot will create you perfect jigs.

Small advice: take a string to set out your curves at the centre point.
I am on a 3 meter curve minimum for "normal" loco's and 5 meter minimum for the bigger ones.
For natural behavior for the "normal" loco's i need 10 meter curves, i dont have the room for it.
Scale a minimum curve for the big boy down to 1:32, even that would be to big for my garden, but that is what i want, but can not have.
Set in for what is possible as minimum and go from there.

With best regards Igor

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I still maintain using track planning software to do a lot of experimentation to get the widest curves and eliminate S curves before you lay track.

I have been to so many layouts that were just laid on the ground, and "oh that's a problem curve and I can't fix it because...."

Greg

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I still maintain using track planning software to do a lot of experimentation to get the widest curves and eliminate S curves before you lay track.

I have been to so many layouts that were just laid on the ground, and "oh that's a problem curve and I can't fix it because...."

Greg
Thats why i am still "old school" just drive a peg in the ground and use wires, its so simple.... as a side note i am not good with computers.
Even in my day job i use wires and measurement tapes to set/draw a complete building out, instead of the "total station".
Dont get me wrong it is a perfect device (gps on 2 inch/5 cm accurate), but old school is still no match for them regarding walls, interiors ect.
They are very good for foundations and such.