Which decoder?

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
Robin - Dan confirms that the Zimo MX10 can Read and Write CVs on the locomotive's MSD3 onboard mfx/dcc/dc sound decoder. Beginning in 2014, Marklin-produced LGB locomotives have MSD3 sound decoders installed instead of the Massoth decoders. Note that there are some DCC systems, such as the ESU CabControl DCC System, that can not Read and Write the CVs on the LGB locomotives with these MSD3 decoders.......when the decoder sends the signal response back, the CabControl System thinks it's receiving an overload input and shuts down. The workaround is to use a resistor on one of the lines from the Command Station to the Programming Track, and then it works fine. So, it appears that the locomotive may have a default in the onboard decoder. There are other DCC systems designed for smaller scales that also don't have enough voltage/amps to Read and Write CVs on LGB locomotives' decoders.......the Massoth DCC documentation warns users about this.

You indicate that you can't Read any of the decoder's CVs with the locomotive on your Programming Track, but I didn't see whether you can Write CVs or not. Try changing the Address by Writing CV1 to 3 and then see if the locomotive will operate in DCC on Address 3. If the decoder still doesn't respond, as already mentioned, turn off mfx in CV50, and then try again to operate the locomotive in DCC. Again as already mentioned, if that also fails, then reset the decoder CV8=8. If all these attemps fail to get the locomotive to operate in DCC, then you could try using a different DCC Command Station to see if that might work. Otherwise, the MSD3 decoder is likely defective and the eBay seller can be forced to refund the buyer's money by using the Return Process.
Thomas
Thanks for all your information. I certainly cannot read CV’s, I have tried writing but I don’t think it works as the response is wrong. I will try CV 1 = 3 and try that on the main track, that’s a good idea and should determine if the decoder is at least receiving data. I guess if that doesn’t work I will try CV 50. I have contacted ZIMO support who tell me that the MX 10 / MX 32 combination should work with this decoder so it’s seems the decoder itself may be the problem.
Robin

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thomas
Thanks for all your information. I certainly cannot read CV’s, I have tried writing but I don’t think it works as the response is wrong. I will try CV 1 = 3 and try that on the main track, that’s a good idea and should determine if the decoder is at least receiving data. I guess if that doesn’t work I will try CV 50. I have contacted ZIMO support who tell me that the MX 10 / MX 32 combination should work with this decoder so it’s seems the decoder itself may be the problem.
Robin
Not being able to read CV’s is a big problem. I always read the CV, do the update then read the CV again to see if it has been accepted as I wanted it, far to easy to get things wrong updating CV’s on the fly.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Thomas
Robin
The caveat here is if CV29 is set for short address or long address. If the previous owner addressed it to be the locomotive number (1067), then CV29 is set for 4 digit long address and and changing CV1 to 3 wont make any difference. CV29 would also need to be set to 6 in order for CV1=3 to work.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ah the dreaded CV29, spawn of the devil it is if you ask me.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
The caveat here is if CV29 is set for short address or long address. If the previous owner addressed it to be the locomotive number (1067), then CV29 is set for 4 digit long address and and changing CV1 to 3 wont make any difference. CV29 would also need to be set to 6 in order for CV1=3 to work.
Tim, interestingly, I recall one time testing an LGB locomotive with a Massoth decoder that CV29 was set to long address, but would also still work in the short address too. Or, maybe it was an MSD3 sound decoder, can't remember for sure. I sent an email to the Massoth Hotline asking will their decoders still operate in short address mode with CV29 is set to long address mode, but they're on vacation right now. The interesting nuances of DCC decoders!

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Tim, interestingly, I recall one time testing an LGB locomotive with a Massoth decoder that CV29 was set to long address, but would also still work in the short address too. Or, maybe it was an MSD3 sound decoder, can't remember for sure. I sent an email to the Massoth Hotline asking will their decoders still operate in short address mode with CV29 is set to long address mode, but they're on vacation right now. The interesting nuances of DCC decoders!
Tom,

It shouldnt work on the short address if CV29 is set to long because there would be possible collisions with another loco that could actually be using the short address (if the same). once CV29 is set in the 30+ range it should only respond to whats stored in CV17/18 for long address.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Tom,

It shouldnt work on the short address if CV29 is set to long because there would be possible collisions with another loco that could actually be using the short address (if the same). once CV29 is set in the 30+ range it should only respond to whats stored in CV17/18 for long address.
Tim, Frank at Massoth confirms that if a Long Address is set in CV29, you can't also use the assigned Short Address in CV29. I would assume this is a required convention in the NMRA DCC Standard.

Canyon City

Registered
24 Mar 2023
Mechernich
www.mecw.de
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately I can't help with this topic, all of my locomotives run with ESU decoders. In the older LGB locomotives I have, the original decoder has been replaced by an ESU decoder.
In Germany, many garden railway enthusiasts are also dissatisfied with the Märklin MFX system.

47318558sc.jpg

Airbuspilot

Registered
25 May 2021
Cyprus
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately I can't help with this topic, all of my locomotives run with ESU decoders. In the older LGB locomotives I have, the original decoder has been replaced by an ESU decoder.
In Germany, many garden railway enthusiasts are also dissatisfied with the Märklin MFX system.

47318558sc.jpg