Where Does This Wire Go To!

TDC

Registered
30 Jul 2010
Best answers
Hello, and thanks for taking a look at my question.

I have just purchased a used LGB 2080 S Harz - Querbahn 996001 locomotive for my Son's Birthday.

On close inspection I have found a stray wire where the terminal must have slipped off its post. I have no idea where it goes to but there are a few possibilities which I have seen. Here are some images to help explain.

This is the locomotive.
01-General-View.jpg

This is where the wire come from. This board is directly behind the cab.
02-Wire-From-Board-Behind-Cab.jpg

There is a vacant post at the rear of the locomotive.
03-Vacant-Post-01.jpg

And another at the front. Note you can see the stray wire in this photo.
04-Vacant-Post-02.jpg

I would be very grateful if someone could advise me where this wire goes please. The locomotive is to have its maiden run under new junior ownership in only a week!

Thank you.

Chris

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
no images on my pc

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Chris, visit the site in the link below, scroll down and click on 2080s-1.pdf

http://lgb.vanelten.nl/Database/

This should take you to an exploded diagram of the loco.

Page 4, top right, suggests that the wire should go to the pin with the green round sticker next to it at the rear of your loco.
However the adjacent two wires in the set of three seem not to go to the locations in your photos. I very strongly suspect that this isn't a problem and these other two wires eventually connect as per the exploded diagram via links from other circuit boards not shown in the exploded diagram.
However the wire isn't shown in the sound version in the bottom right of page 4. I suspect this is a later version of your loco.
Before connecting the wire see if the loco runs with the rear bogie not on the track as the green wire is a connection to the motor and/or track pickups and the rear bogie has additional pickups. If, as I suspect, it doesn't run then plug the green wire in where suggested and retest.

At the risk of stating the obvious, if the connection is prone to coming loose just squeeze the female connector gently with a pair of pliers.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Blimey, that's a real "rat's nest" of wiring and a huge mass of electronics.... is that how the early sound locos came from the factory?

For what it's worth, my best guess would also be that the errant connector goes on the pin at the rear with the green sticker, next to the brown wire. Assuming LGB's standard colour coding of green and yellow for motor feeds, brown and white for track power, and given that this is a very early split-gearbox loco (hence it won't actually have a yellow motor wire), I would guess that these three pins are the main connections to the motor/gearbox/pickups.

One silly question - all the wiring seems to be taped up into looms, it may be that the correct pin is the only one that the connector will actually reach....?

Have you actually tried it on the track at all, with that wire disconnected?

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Hi TDC

The loom of three wires with one loose are the connections from the motor block. There are only 3 wires because this is an early model with a three pin block rather than the later 4-pin variety. The green wire goes to the post near the green sticker, next to the brown wire. Together, those form one side of the connection between motor and track.

Nice loco. Enjoy it!

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
All as above green wire to post with green dot........................

I likes these Loco's I do...............................
31313d7cdea64f08bf776bd22af8894f.jpg

TDC

Registered
30 Jul 2010
Best answers
Thank you Neil.

The exploded diagrams will come in very useful. I've replaced the wire onto the post with the green circular sticker by it. Let's hope it's the right one!

I understand that I have a very early model with sound. I haven't run it yet.

Regards

Chris

TDC

Registered
30 Jul 2010
Best answers
Thank you Whatlep, and all the other helpful people who replied.

I have replaced the connector as you sugested by the green sticker. It's odd that the loom of three wires (white, brown and green) have been reduced to the single green wire just before the spade connector. The previous owner must have changed this when they fitted the MTS decoder.

I'll run the loco for the first time next week after a clean up. It looks as if it's sat in a shed for a while as the wheels are quite corroded.

I bought it for £200. Not sure if that's a good price or not. It seems a good start for my 9 year old Son though.

Regards

Chris

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
TDC said:
I have replaced the connector as you sugested by the green sticker. It's odd that the loom of three wires (white, brown and green) have been reduced to the single green wire just before the spade connector. The previous owner must have changed this when they fitted the MTS decoder.

Hi Chris. You didn't mention the loco was MTS fitted! Now I look more closely, I can see the chip and that explains why the other two wires in the loom have been terminated and why there is such a maze of wires.

The three wire loom is the original gearbox connection. The green wire runs to one side of the motor and the easiest way to do that is via the existing pin connection. Presumably the white & brown wires from the gearbox get connected directly or via the main board pins to the 55021 chip? The interesting thing is how power gets to the other side of the motor. From the pictures, it looks like the yellow wire from the MTS chip goes to the main board where another yellow wire has been soldered to it, but where that goes, I can't tell. Somehow it must make contact with the motor while the white wire is somehow prevented from making contact with the motor, but kept in contact with the track.

Good value for £200 by the way!