Wheel slip - any ideas?

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
A bit perplexed today. Had a running session and experienced wheel slip from locos in places where I've never experienced it before - sometimes not even on slopes. The loads were still the same (eg my train of 9 empty tipper wagons) and the locos were the same but somehow their wheels spun at the slightest provocation. I had cleaned the track with an abrasive pad while the track was still wet at the start of the day which I have done before without problem. I'm just wondering if it had something to do with the weather. It was threatening rain all day though it didn't actually rain while I was running trains.

Do you think humidity or temperature makes a difference?

Rik

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I very seldom use track power these days Rik (usually go for battery power), but when I did, I noticed that I sometimes got wheel slip on such damp days and it got worse as the day went on. So yes, I think relative humidity etc. does make a surprisingly big difference.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Stainzmeister said:
Are the pick up skates on your loco(s) moving up and down freely, a dab of plastic friendly oil usually cures this - a stiff pair of skates can seriously affect loco traction !

Not thought of that, Paul - thanks. I'll check. What 'plastic friendly oil' do you use?

Rik

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
well since rain and wet are sortof rare in Colorado-im sensitive to its effects
ive noticed that any moisture on the rail very much effects adhesion

on my line-i too experience slip in places not previously an issue

as for temp all i can think of is some sort of condensation-

eg; in almost freezing temps, i have noticed my otherwise seemingly dry rail suddenly get wet or even iced-theres something about metal on metal that causes this-but the scientific explanation escapes me now

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
I very seldom use track power these days Rik (usually go for battery power), but when I did, I noticed that I sometimes got wheel slip on such damp days and it got worse as the day went on. So yes, I think relative humidity etc. does make a surprisingly big difference.

Yes - it did seem to get worse as the day progressed - and we did get a few spots of rain - but that's not usually stopped me before. I was just surprised at how pronounced the wheel slip was today.

Rik

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
On some of my loco's i put a drop of conductive contact lube on the wheel treads this seems to give my loco's wheel slip and leaves a film of oil on the track .