Whats the best paint

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
I have a concrete bridge which I would like to paint and weather. Its outside as well. Whats the best paint to buy for this task.

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Nemo said:
I have a concrete bridge which I would like to paint and weather. Its outside as well. Whats the best paint to buy for this task.

Masonary paint. I have probably got a tin of Buttermilk lurking somewhere. Same colour as Biffins viaduct.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Depends what sort of look you want Steve. If you want it all nice and pristine (and want it to stay that way), then Fred's suggestion of masonary paint is spot on. But if you want it to look a bit more "lived in", just go out and get an aerosol of matt black or dark grey (I've just used matt black on mine). Give it a quick flash over and you'll find that the paint appears to soak into the concrete. Don't try to cover the thing in paint, just to highlight the stones. Then let mother nature do the rest (or paint some yoghurt onto it) and before you know it, it'll have nice patches of moss here and there.

Like I say, depends on what finish you want to end up with.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Nemo said:

Well judge for yourself mate. Been out and taken a pic of mine.

975593f76bbe421c808d871a586bcefc.jpg

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Don't paint it. Give it a coat of sour milk or yogurt and let nature take its course. It will soon blend in to its surroundings.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Nice one Mel - they sure are nice. I was expecting the smaller Tufcraft type.
:clap:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
stockers said:
Nice one Mel - they sure are nice. I was expecting the smaller Tufcraft type.
:clap:

Cheers mate, the Tuxcraft one would have been too tall. The beauty of these Cain Howley viaducts is that they are made from individual components which makes it more adaptable than the Tuxcraft. Better mouldings too IMO.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
i used freds maisonry paint.. then aplied black/gray car paint prima on top, while wet.. its a case off a little here, litlle there, toned down the bright masionry paint, made it more relistic.. i hope
shame really, lifes a ,:rofl:
8469ebb839d946a59c34133b8225c4ae.jpg

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
yb281 said:
Depends what sort of look you want Steve. If you want it all nice and pristine (and want it to stay that way), then Fred's suggestion of masonary paint is spot on. But if you want it to look a bit more "lived in", just go out and get an aerosol of matt black or dark grey (I've just used matt black on mine). Give it a quick flash over and you'll find that the paint appears to soak into the concrete. Don't try to cover the thing in paint, just to highlight the stones. Then let mother nature do the rest (or paint some yoghurt onto it) and before you know it, it'll have nice patches of moss here and there.

or paint some yoghurt onto it) and before you know it, it'll have nice patches of moss here and there.

hi so i saw yr messages about......
paint some yoghurt onto it) and before you know it, it'll have nice patches of moss here and there.

so will it work on the wooden surfaces? or ?........what type of yogurt?

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
steven large said:
yb281 said:

or paint some yoghurt onto it) and before you know it, it'll have nice patches of moss here and there.

paint some yoghurt onto it) and before you know it, it'll have nice patches of moss here and there.

Yes, I would have thought it will work on wood Steven. Most people seem to use natural yoghurt - not sure if the flavour matters?? Although I remember one bloke in Garden Rail magazine trying it - only to go out later to find his dog licking it all off :D

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
yb281 said:
steven large said:
yb281 said:

Yes, I would have thought it will work on wood Steven. Most people seem to use natural yoghurt - not sure if the flavour matters?? Although I remember one bloke in Garden Rail magazine trying it - only to go out later to find his dog licking it all off :D

i was laughing about the dog lick all the yoghurt off.....ugh....i will get natuarl yoghurt tmw...so if put it on so hw long will the moss will come on?....so what is like? moss?....never use it!!!....so hw it work from yoghurt when got moss?

dragon

24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
The moss just starts to grow where you have applied the yoghurt.. Makes it a quicker process.

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
dragon said:
The moss just starts to grow where you have applied the yoghurt.. Makes it a quicker process.

hi mate no time and no hear..hw are u??....it good to hear from u...so iam been off for a while due of family illness...so what is moss look like and what is it? any pictures?.....thks..

dragon

24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Green stuff that grows in damp places. Often in shady damp lawns. Only about a quarter of an inch high. Looks natural growing on old stone walls.

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
ah u mean like tht on rockery with green moss? tiny green fig on tops?.....

dragon

24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Yes. Not sure I would want to encourage it to grow on wood. Might hold the damp there and make the wood rot a bit quicker.