What is the best DCC System to use for a small-ish outdoor g scale railway??

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi there, and welcome to the mad house.

The best system DCC system. Well if your layout is only small, I'd go for the LGB MTS 3, with either an LGB Universal handset or a Massoth Navigator. 5 amps which will provide you with plenty of power, and you can work your points with this system.

Hope this helps

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
hi, and yes,what steve says..

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Nothing wrong with any systems suggested. There are also other options such as using Lenz digital kit with Massoth handsets (ask Shropshire Lad).

May I recommend that you "try before you buy" by visiting a few GSCers lines and trying out what's available? Putting a hint of your location (e.g. a county) in your profile will make it easier to figure out who is local to you.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Brought my MTS 2 (P) from another forumite for £300.

This included a LGB 55015 Universal Remote and a LGB 55050 Wireless Transmitter to fit to it.

I've since added other parts to the system; LGB 55025 points decoder, LGB 55055 Wireless Receiver (which works with the LGB 55050 unit), LGB 55080 Reversing Loop Module and a 55016 Loco Remote fitted with another 55050 Transmitter.

I also now have a LGB 55045 PC Decoder Programming Module and a 55060 PC Interface Module. Of course, you might not need some of these extra accessories for your layout and I managed with the basic MTS 2 for a few months, while I got used to 'The Dark Side'!

Apart from the PC Interface which I purchased 2nd hand from GRS, all these 'extras' were brought from other members of GSC....

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
For the kind of money an Mts setup will cost you could,as Peter says, get a Lenz setup that is compatible with Massoth Navigators and offers the kind of functionality you get with a full spec Massoth system.
Adding additional control power,computer control etc is also cost effective if you expand your railway or loco roster

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
I must admit to beeing a fan of the Lenz system myself, as Shropshire Lad says it is very easy to expand.

It is often possible to find very cheap Lenz systems for sale on evil bay. The cheapness comes because Lenz systems are used mostly in the smaller scales, and there are lot more people involved in that than in our scale, although the Lenz system is equally at home in our scale.

Having said that, do have a look at all of the systems, and try them out if possible. Bachmann, ECoS, Massoth, NCE, Zimo, LGB etc etc etc.

Keith RhB

Registered
23 Oct 2012
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Don't forget to check out the new Piko 5Amp digital system too--pretty good value for the money and built by Massoth. My layout is on the smallish side too and I'm using the MTSIII with Massoth navigators and it works well for me. You might want to spend some time reading the online manuals for the different systems and even better if you can find someone near you where you can try out the various throttles that is a good idea too because everyone has their own preferences. Some people like slider type throttles (like Zimo) while others like rotary knob throttles (like Massoth).
Keith

Nordmij

Registered
12 Apr 2016
SS07PW
Best answers
Country flag
Good information but what is best marklin, massoth what is better for start up in DCC quality, issues using, future proof. Is it me but massoth has dropped lower recently? Small systems, two tracks what works best in your opinion.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Pretty new to DCC for G Scale- Really need the help
I would NOT go with the LGB MTS system as they are very limited in several factors like number of loco addresses, 14 speed steps (MTSIII wiith the massoth navigater can do 28 steps). Most other systems will do 10,000 loco addresses (I like using the engine number for the address) and 128 speed steps!! Also consider power as very few systems goto more than 5 amps current and some can nor go over 20 volts to the track. Okay for steam, but modern diesels need 24 volts on the track which means the power supply has to be 26 volts or more!! Some people build there own electronics and save lots of $$.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Good information but what is best marklin, massoth what is better for start up in DCC quality, issues using, future proof. Is it me but massoth has dropped lower recently? Small systems, two tracks what works best in your opinion.
You do know this is a 10 year old thread, and things have moved forward, maybe start a new thread with YOUR requirements :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ok I will be lambasted for this, but have you thought about Battery DCC? No track cleaning, no central station just a Radio Handset (around £100) that can do 10 plus loco locomotives, a reciever for each loco and batteries. Ok you will not get instant buy set up and go, but worth thinking about.

My preferd supplier and I have put most of my conversions in the Battery Thread. Though ther are others US based but Deltang in UK has not yet gone down the DCC option.

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Wow, this is an old thread that has awoken!

Things have certainly moved on in the digital world! For people starting out and want a high current system (upto 8 amp or upto 30 amp) and don't want to have to spend out buying handsets, have look at the mXion range we are now stocking. The smaller unit with built in WiFi starts at only £215 for the central station. Locos and layouts can then be controlled via an app on smart phones or tablets. The app will work on both Android and IOS devices.

We also have a good selection of MTS systems and parts available currently. They haven't quite got as far as our webshop yet.

Feel free to drop us an email for mXion and MTS questions :)

www.amazinglittletrains.com

EDIT - we also stock the Fosworks system as well !

Last edited:

Gerard

Registered
26 Mar 2021
Aerdenhout Holland
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Junior welcome to the forum,
Lot of good suggestions are given above, but in addition, from my point of view as a relative (5 year) newcomer in the LGB world, I advise you strongly to look for somebody in your neighbourhood who can give you advice and help you with the system you finally will choose. It is my experience that after the buy the story really starts! All this DCC stuff is rather complicated so you really need a friend that can solve your problems and give you sound advice and practical help. If this is not the case you will end up in a lot of trouble shooting and making the wrong conclusions and wrong changes in the numerous settings. A digital system will only run smoothly when ALL settings are correct!
Should you choose the Zimo system than i'm glad to help you via mail using my expert friend who has also a Zimo system.
Succes!
Gerard

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Junior welcome to the forum,
Lot of good suggestions are given above, but in addition, from my point of view as a relative (5 year) newcomer in the LGB world, I advise you strongly to look for somebody in your neighbourhood who can give you advice and help you with the system you finally will choose. It is my experience that after the buy the story really starts! All this DCC stuff is rather complicated so you really need a friend that can solve your problems and give you sound advice and practical help. If this is not the case you will end up in a lot of trouble shooting and making the wrong conclusions and wrong changes in the numerous settings. A digital system will only run smoothly when ALL settings are correct!
Should you choose the Zimo system than i'm glad to help you via mail using my expert friend who has also a Zimo system.
Succes!
Gerard
Much of what you say is indeed true, but I have found that as bought a loco will run fine. Only when CV settings have been messed about with can things go badly wrong with inexperienced hands.