What I did to get a powered trolley on a budget

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Been looking for a powered LGB Euro trolley for awhile now. Most seem to be quite expensive. Where as the non powered trailers can be had very cheap. I have had a playmobile(basically a LGB) power unit in my drawer of G scale stuff. So, today I did some horse trading for a near mint in the box older red LGB trolley non powered unit. I fitted the Playmobile power unit where the dummy wheel sets were and secured it with 2 screws. I mounted my battery in the passenger area after wrapping it in black electrical tape to help "hide" it a bit. A charging jack and switch that is center off, with power to motor and lights in the "up" position and "down" to charge. Working on a head light now as the trailers only have the red LED tail light. Using an HO scale searchlight I had in another box of stuff. Since I mostly run just one direction, I wired her so the headlight and the correct tail light are functional. I have a couple more of the search lights but they are missing the lense reflector part. I think they are Lifelike or Model Power brand, so I can find another one to put a head lamp on the other end. Just need to find a trolley pole to mount on the roof. Not sure I will keep the side advertising boards or not. They are removable on the LGB trolleys. Ran excellent on a test run before I took one end apart to work on a head light. Pics coming soon! Mike the Aspie

Reactions: 2 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Looking forward to the pics. On a minor point, the Playmobil motor blocks were not made by LGB and are 14v, though if you're using batteries that's probably not a worry.

Reactions: 1 users

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Going off topic slightly: Mike and Gordon's comments about the PM power block have got me thinking.

Totally agree with Mike - it could be said that's the whole PM system as introduced was heavily influenced by LGB, particularly the motor blocks....

But, back in 1980 when PM arrived LGB were still on the MK 2 motor block - the clamshell. It would be a few years before the MK 3 version with the drop plate came along....

Suddenly I see how the PM block cleverly addressed the awkwardness of access to the works of the Clamshell block, and LGB followed PM!

I would love to know how much say LGB had in the development of the PM railway range....or key parts of it...

Mike, well done on the adaption of the tram. I too would love to see some pictures!

James

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
On German Ebay you will get the front panels with the headligths for 1,90 € plus postage. If you have won the auctiion, you can collect it,for a month, so you can bid on a second one and get it in one parcel. Also he has some other tram parts, sometime very cheap.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/LGB-ERSATZTE...237983?hash=item58fdec35df:g:20YAAOSw-05Znbt3
And if you need the glass, or the golden rings for the head lights, and you can_t vind them, let me knoiw and I'll give you a hrlp.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

If you want other colours, than let me know as well. I do have yellow and a grey one, without the painting on.

Last edited:

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the link, I came up with a pretty good looking headlight for free. Just need to duplicate it on the other end. Mike
20170910_111944.jpeg 20170910_112009.jpeg 20170910_112037.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Whilst my current layout is just a simple loop, I am considering doing a point to point line with working catenary and running 2 pairs of LGB trams off the wire using the LGB shuttle circuit. I have one of the Rigi commercial window display cable car set ups that auto reverses when the cars hit the end stop plates. My wife wants to figure out how to "weather proof" the set up and have it at one end of the tram line. The Rigi base units are made from particle board and the AC motor set up isnt sealed. So it would need to go inside some kind of building, much like the real cable cars "dock" at when at the end of thier runs. Both the lower drive and upper cable return wheel would need this set up to keep rain and such away from the units. I would probably take the set up down during the long winter months when snow could blow into the set up and mess things up. Really catching "tram fever" right now. Just something bout trams(trolleys here in the USA). MIke

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Nice rework with a nice, reliable playmobil power block! Nice red trolley too. Imho, you simply need some US style period ads that you like. Perhaps some Pola stickers trimmed?

Yes,i too recall trolley fever at one point in my train loving life. Possibly the only true nostalgia i actually experienced regarding trains as a daily part of my very very young life.

Something very urban, tight curves, and such a wonderful variety of equipment. And modeling the "noire" grit of a town or city. Of course too, the relevant eras of the 10's-50s.

Back when i was a very young child in los angeles, late 50s, i recall the sparks, sometimes the smell of ozone, rails flush with the street, sounds, and the solid feel of the cars, sort of like a grown up amusement ride, not to mention the pleasant trolley conductors.

And, to see a traction model which has both an urban section and a section which runs through the country has always thrilled me. I love the contrast. That and the intricate overhead work. Both the overhead and need for custom points and street work discouraged me undertaking trolleys as a serious modeler. (That and as a teenager, the knee buckling price of brass trolleys). Otoh, i have several lgb sets and one pearly thomas sound version which i love to run, often around the tree at Crimbo. I love the bachman open trolley, but have heard they dont run well at all, and are a pita to rework. We have such trolleys currently in a part of denver, along the Platte river. All the sounds and sights on a wooden bench trundling along with a breeze.

At a train show a couple years back, i saw a small HO traction layout with a tiny downtown block, a barn, a brief run through country to a suburban stop with park and lake, looping back to the downtown. Great detail, and delicate overhead work.

We still have an old trolley barn in downtown denver, now the "spaghetti factory " restaurant. Wonderful architecture. The old forney museum had some great old trolleys that werent burned,, and i suspect they are at the new museum.

Last edited:

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Lots of 'interurban" remains in my area, from bridge abutments to right of way humps and such. Sometimes street trackage is found when heavy rework of some older city streets is undertaken. Its a shame more communities over here do not put streetcar trackage back in. The cities that have done so or still have them have excellent ridership and its done nothing but grow as the cost of living and the cost of driving have gone up and up. But its been said we need consistant gas prices of $5 or more for the voting public to back "light rail" and move away from driving huge gas hog vehicles. I ride a nice 250cc Honda Elite maxi scooter. Just like they do in Europe. Gets so much better mph than my diesel pickup. But that truck has its purpose, to pull my boat and trailer I use for my antique tractor. I missed the trolley era, but did get to ride the street cars in Toronto while we were on our honeymoon. Mike

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
An interesting thread... I bought one of those Chlorodont cars that was not working really cheaply. Turned out to be a broken soldered joint.... I'm converting mine ( and have been doing so for several years) to a working track scrubber and an Illuminated tram for festive occasions. I took off the Chlorodont signs and "canvassed" the roof with muslin cloth held in place by brushing acetone onto it much the same way as when you're fibreglassing something. Came out really well.

Attachments

• DSCF1236 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF1236 (Medium).JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1249 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF1249 (Medium).JPG
    182 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1264 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF1264 (Medium).JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1279 (Small).JPG
    DSCF1279 (Small).JPG