Weathering wagons etc

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
In response to a request on another thread, here's how I go about weathering my wagons. However, I know there are others on the forum whose skills are probably better than mine in this area so please add your techniques to this thread. I know I'd be interested in seeing how others go about this task.

My first stage is to daub the bodywork with mucky dark brown acrylics, which I then wipe off diagonally with a paper towel while still wet.
IMG_5307.JPG

I then do the same with the chassis, though in this case I use a reddy-brown to represent rust and the paint is dabbed off, to leave accumulations in the crevices.
IMG_5311.JPG

Next I dry-brush areas which have more specific wear - in this case the mechanism for the crane has some rust applied in places.
IMG_5312.JPG

Then, last of all, the model is given a very light dusting of matt light brown or sand colour from an aerosol. I tend to do this with the model inverted so the spray is deposited more lower down the model.

IMG_5314.JPG

For more information see - http://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/how-i-weather-my-wagons.html < Link To http://riksrailway.blogsp...weather-my-wagons.html
and - http://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-i-weathered-some-lgb-tippler-wagons.html < Link To http://riksrailway.blogsp...gb-tippler-wagons.html

Hope that's helpful - and that others share their techniques as well

Rik

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
The end results certainly look good :clap::clap: Do you use an aerosol from a rattle can or pump ?

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
garrymartin said:
The end results certainly look good :clap::clap: Do you use an aerosol from a rattle can or pump ?
Humbrol rattle-can acrylics

Rik

supagav

USA standard gauge in the late 1960's, in 1:29th.
30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Rik, looks great! Simple and effective, often the hardest to pull off. Good job :)

Just one suggestion if I may? Don't forgot the wheel faces themselves as they're often the first part of the wagon to rust up. Even new rolling stock often shows rust on the wheel faces even as they leave the paintshop!

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
supagav said:
Just one suggestion if I may? Don't forgot the wheel faces themselves as they're often the first part of the wagon to rust up. Even new rolling stock often shows rust on the wheel faces even as they leave the paintshop!
Thanks Gavin
Yes, you're right - it is an area I tend to avoid - in my head it's a bit like leaving the ballast clear of point tie-bars

Rik

GJFREESTONE

Garden Railways, Model making
19 Jan 2013
Shropshire
Best answers
hi Rik
I am following this master class very closely even though I can do some weathering it is nice to see a crafts man at work . I have a yellow crane and match truck which are crying out for weathering but as of yet have not plucked up the courage to tackle it , Are humbro paints in tinlets any good for your way of weather I seem to have a draw full of them .I have noticed you have used a red for rust and I have got matt 100 which is a rusty colour would this be okay .
well here goes nothing it is worth a try .thanks for this thread
Graham Shrewsbury

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I've read articles and threads on other forums where they swear by Humbrol tinlets and wouldn't use anything else. I opt for acrylics as largely I can't be faffed with cleaning the brushes afterwards - acrylics are water-based.

There are no hard and fast rules - but it's a good idea to try and find a photo of a real wagon or two to see how weathering looks for real and try to represent it. However, I sometimes slightly exaggerate the colour slightly to enhance the effect.

If you're uncertain - I'd suggest practising on something that's not one of your favourite bits of stock.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Stainzmeister said:
Great work Rik. I like the all round realism your line has.
Thanks Paul - hope the weather is better than we had in France. See you in a week or so.

Rik

supagav

30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I know what you mean! Funnily enough though now I often find my self just painting the wheels and couplers and saying to myself, "oh I'll get round to finishing it off sometime soon...!" I guess for me its the first thing to do as it really helps to get rid of that toy train look and marks the point when the wagon starts to become a model. Like these two tank cars which I detailed but are still crying out for some weathering!

4b143ed089d24b2c9d50456a5297ad85.jpg

1f73b469b1fb40f4b7e53334cac32310.jpg

I really do like the subtle effect you've achieved, do you have any more photos of your weathered stock? Would love to see some if possible?

flyingsignalman

Narrow Gauge railways, Garden railways, Signalling
24 Oct 2009
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
When I painted the wheels on this little fella I just loaded the brush with Humbrol track colour (not now available, I believe) and put the brush on the visible part of the wheel and spun it round.
ee12a6b10f2146dd9f3c0e707ea704c4.jpg

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
supagav said:
I really do like the subtle effect you've achieved, do you have any more photos of your weathered stock? Would love to see some if possible?
Thanks
A couple more
IMG_5389.JPG

IMG_5392.JPG

But I know there are others on the forum who are more skilled than me at this 'art'

Rik

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
this is i doin weatherin on them.....
c583460f59674c21bdcf77efb077bd83.jpg
ff3b07994c0f4a17abc74f63a5692faf.jpg
3a84cf613a3840f2b3e1b6423e2d70bc.jpg

supagav

30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Very nice Rik, good job!