weathered boxcar

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
I spent the last few days working on my HLW boxcar. I spray painted the car rudy brown and then washed it in black. The final touch was a light spray of the Krylon camo tan. The roof already looked like a tar roof but it came painted a brown color so I sprayed the roof black and dulled it with some camo tan. Then I added some black lines to represent tar. The roofwalk was also repainted to look more like wood. The more I do this weathering the easier it gets and what a difference. I know I have said this a hundred times but I love the HLW stuff. I compared it to the bachmann and the height is the same just a little shorter. This is the style boxcar I wanted for my RR. It has more of a backwoods look to it. I just have to add some decals

New
http://www.h-l-w.com/Products/New/C&S-Boxcar.jpg

4qmw4i.jpg

wvzind.jpg

1zlr4g5.jpg

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work Shawn. It is when I see posts like this that makes me think about keeping my 1:22.5 stock and not selling it. :D

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Great job what a differance a bit of weathering makes :clap:

Shawn

The Devonian said:
Nice work Shawn. It is when I see posts like this that makes me think about keeping my 1:22.5 stock and not selling it. :D

Thanks What scale you moving towards? I love the 1:24-1:22 scale. It is a good size that works with my layout. Anything bigger like 1:20 scale would tower over my layout. Plus 1:24 - 1:22 scale is cheeper. It might not be the prototypical scale for the track but most would never notice the difference besides early days of narrow guage the cars were all different sizes. there was no standard like today.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Shawn,

I started off with Bachmann 1:22.5 (cheap over here ;) ), around three and a half years ago but I rather liked 1:29 stock and dismals so I have around 25 items of Aristo and five of their locos. The Bachmann Big Hauler consists of two 'Annies' and 24 items of stock. I have sold some Bachmann but still buy Aristo.

Luckily some of the Bachmann stock, particularly tank cars and hoppers, blend well with the Aristo in appearance.

Shawn

I figured you were going 1:20 scale, it seems thats what most people are changing to. I guess your looking at more standard gauge? Aristo is a good choice, they have some good stuff to choose from. Plus their aristo classic line 1:24 scale might work in the 1:29 like the 2 axel box and flat cars. I have a set of the flats and like them. Im thinking about getting the 2 axel boxcar as well. Again they are much more affordable. You might want to look at some of the Hartland stuff they are 1:24 and ight work with 1:29 as well. ANother nice thing about 1:24 you can mach them up or down in scale.

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Shawn, each project is better than the last! Well done!

Think I tol' ya a coon's age ago that you had the basic skills, you just needed the confidence in yourself to try. :clap:

Be careful tho, that scratchbuilding and kitbashing stuff can be addicting. If it gets to the point where EVERYTHING has to go under the knife or through the paint booth before it hits the rails... Then you're almost as bad as me.

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
[H2]WHAT a.....exellent results about this weathered jobs u have.....so here is my weathered,,,,,,,[/H2]
204ed646538c4913a5928292d6bb26de.jpg

it tweetie rest room.......lol.....coz we have a bugie called tweety

Photo embedded in text by Peter Bunce - moderator

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi shawn.....
have a look at mine......im learning to how to weathered it........look superb......i will stop postin this photos...ok..thks
http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=32129

cheeeeeeeeeeeers....i loves yr weathered kits and aslo loves tht trestle bridges!!!!!!

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Shawn said:
I love the 1:24-1:22 scale. It is a good size that works with my layout. Anything bigger like 1:20 scale would tower over my layout. Plus 1:24 - 1:22 scale is cheeper. It might not be the prototypical scale for the track but most would never notice the difference besides early days of narrow guage the cars were all different sizes. there was no standard like today.

Actually, if you take 1:24 scale and 45mm track, one is close to 42" (a.k.a. Cape) gauge. Not many know this but quite a few early industrial and logging lines were built to 42" gauge, along with the majority of common carrier NG in Canada. For example, there are a few listed here for Alabama:

http://www.loggingrailroads.com/al.htm

Great work again Shawn!

Shawn

steven large said:
hi shawn.....
have a look at mine......im learning to how to weathered it........look superb......i will stop postin this photos...ok..thks
http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=32129

cheeeeeeeeeeeers....i loves yr weathered kits and aslo loves tht trestle bridges!!!!!!

Your weathering is very nice. Great job

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
[H2]thks u shawn.......looking forward to hear from u.....[/H2] p,s,i have to try my best to weathering my sw-4 usat u.p,.....but didnt want ended up too much same as my g collections.......mmmmmm

need little bit but it my first time weathering my switcher.....................................so i will give a best shot

Shawn

steven large said:
[H2]thks u shawn.......looking forward to hear from u.....[/H2] p,s,i have to try my best to weathering my sw-4 usat u.p,.....but didnt want ended up too much same as my g collections.......mmmmmm

need little bit but it my first time weathering my switcher.....................................so i will give a best shot

The best part about painting your trains is if you mess up on the weathering just repaint until it comes out the way you llike it. I found you dont need all that fancy air brush stuff. Krylon spray paints work great (not sure if you can get them overseas) they have a camo collection of brown, tan and green. the tan works great. I also use rudy brown from krylon spray paints. Thats what I used as the main coat. All my washes I use the folk art craft paints. They cost 87 cents a bottle and work great.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Shawn said:
I figured you were going 1:20 scale, it seems thats what most people are changing to.

The HLW box looks great, Shawn

I've managed to get myself a complete consist in 1:20.3 - I think the Accucraft stuff is beautifully detailed, and full of character, but it is pricey. However, the new Bachmann locos seem to be coming in at that scale, but even pricier :happy::happy:

I think I shall leave it at that - I can't make the train any longer because of the limitations of the passing loop, but I shall keep my 1:22.5 stock, and probably add to that occasionally.

I like the idea of the shorter cars, you can make a train look longer with more cars, but not take up so much space. And as for detail and quality - looking at that HLW boxcar - wot's the problem ? :clap::clap:

Shawn

Rhinochugger said:
Shawn said:
I figured you were going 1:20 scale, it seems thats what most people are changing to.

The HLW box looks great, Shawn

I've managed to get myself a complete consist in 1:20.3 - I think the Accucraft stuff is beautifully detailed, and full of character, but it is pricey. However, the new Bachmann locos seem to be coming in at that scale, but even pricier :happy::happy:

I think I shall leave it at that - I can't make the train any longer because of the limitations of the passing loop, but I shall keep my 1:22.5 stock, and probably add to that occasionally.

I like the idea of the shorter cars, you can make a train look longer with more cars, but not take up so much space. And as for detail and quality - looking at that HLW boxcar - wot's the problem ? :clap::clap:

Thanks so you live in west sussex. I live in Sussex County NJ I wonder were they got the name of my county from LOL. I have to agree I love the accucraft stuff especially the iron mt ore cars, flat cars and the small box cars. I could never see spending that kind of money especially when you can build something just as nice for a fraction of the price. Thats why I love the Hartland flat cars and the mini series. They are so affordable and you can do so much with them. The Bachamnn big hauler rolling stock is still great and affordable but it seems all their new stuff is 1:20 scale and double the price. It always suprised me you dont see more Hartland stuff being used or mentioned to the people just getting into the hobby and on a budget.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, the Hartland stuff is not so easy to get at good prices over here - although Steve at Back2Bay6 is stocking some of the stuff when he can get it.

As to the Sussex bit, there is alos a small range of mountains in the Falkland Islands named after a Lord or Earl Sussex.

So the idea of calling the railroad the 'Wild West Sussex Railroad' was that it could have an international flavour, of indeterminate location :happy::happy: