Weathered Aristo Mallet 2-8-8-2 Improvement??

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
http://youtu.be/SEKh-NI-VBU ...12/3e8c1d9faf4647c0aa4408876f73f0bb.jpg[/IMG]

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
main131 said:
http://youtu.be/SEKh-NI-VBU see video
Some would say that this weathered version is more realistic than running in out of the box condition. It asks the question, do you want to always have a 'just out of the paint shop' look or do you think you need the skill to convert.
Finally, do you think your lovely model will loose it's value by committing it to running on a railway!
Personally I love it. In my opinion locos never look as clean and shiney as they tend to when you take a brand new one out of it's box. When I took this photo the loco had only been in service for a matter of weeks and yet there are still plenty of signs of oil and water leaks and spillages.

48adfa72a1ee45aba02abdf1e0c90aed.jpg

Even when a loco comes straight out of the workshop, the motion is covered in grease and oil. The buffer beam is also not plain gloss red, there is all sorts of staining around the rivets.

The question of losing it's value is a difficult one. A dedicated collector will not usually want anything that has been modified in any way. But someone who wants their rolling stock to look realistic would be quite happy to buy a weathered model as long as the weathering has been well done.

I wonder how long it will be before a manufacturer brings out a ready weathered G scale loco in the same way as is done in OO and other scales?

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
dirty dirty dirty

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
main131 said:
Finally, do you think your lovely model will loose it's value by committing it to running on a railway!

I don't really care about resale value. Its about enjoying seeing them running.
I like fairly subtle weathering as most items I see on the railways aren't filthy just a little grimy here and there.

The Mallet looks great

Don Gilham

Model railways, Photography, anything lazy
28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
A weathered loco is a joy to behold - although I think at times some people go "over the top". Also applies to stock :)

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Your Aristo Rio Grande mallet looks very nice weathered Trevor :clap:
I would like to do my Aristo K-59 Mikado as the metal drive wheels and motion gear look to polished & clean .

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Don Gilham said:
A weathered loco is a joy to behold - although I think at times some people go "over the top". Also applies to stock :)

Whoops, does you mean me Don...........................:(

af9bce3f6d7a4cd7998ae931933d13b2.jpg

985b8ae37d29476189aff1a0fbede7b6.jpg

39957d12ac8744b293f43bfe991dc444.jpg

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I am kit bashing my mallet 2-8-8-2 at the moment. It is a Rio Grande one and I am making it look more like the real prototype for a class L95 in the late 1940's to early 1950's. Moving the air pumps, extra piping, moving the running lights etc etc. Then........a weathering jobbie. It has taken a leap of faith to move on from weathering rolling stock to expensive locos..:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Don Gilham

Model railways, Photography, anything lazy
28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
Mike is my weathering was as good as yours, I'd be well pleased :clap:

Mcvie

Registered
25 Nov 2017
Kettle Falls, WA.
Best answers
I'm curious, do the LGB Mallets run well? Any issues with them?
I'm looking at doing one of those instead of a Big Boy, which are way too expensive for me.

I love this hobby.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
The Mallets (my avatar) run very well. With twelve pick ups and two motors, running is very reliable, especially over dodgy areas like plastic frogs. Perhaps the only drawback is running in to the evening dew on less than clean track when a bit of stuttering can occur. I am confident this is because there are no skates on this one. This is a minor issue.

Mcvie

Registered
25 Nov 2017
Kettle Falls, WA.
Best answers
Okay, that is very helpful. Which version do you have?

Mcvie

Registered
25 Nov 2017
Kettle Falls, WA.
Best answers
Can i run the LGB Mallet on batteries instead of Track power?
Just a novice. An old novice. An old novice obsessed with this new hobby.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Can i run the LGB Mallet on batteries instead of Track power?
Just a novice. An old novice. An old novice obsessed with this new hobby.

Quick answer, yes. Plenty of room inside for the batteries and whatever kind of control gear you wish to use.
This thread might possibly be of some interest.....

https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/multi-power-loco-mark-ii-this-time-its-steam.309393/

It's a Meyer rather than a Mallet, but all the principles still apply.... do note that I had a very specific purpose in mind here, which was to build a loco that would run on track or battery, and still have full control over all DCC functions even when running on battery power. If you want a simple RC battery conversion of an analogue loco, then there will be simpler ways to do it!

Jon.