David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I was pleased to see how well recieved was my item on converting the LGB Toytrain van into a cattle wagon.  I thought I would post some more of my conversions.  As stated previously, all of the stock on the Claptowte Railway is converted from the Toytrain range.  Probably one of my first conversions, because it was the simplest, was the van.

Starting point was the Toytrain Box Van.  This comes in various guises, yellow Santa Fe, green European, etc.
xdig 130313001.JPG

The first step was to carve off the moulded ladders,on the ends, and any other extraneous mouldings handrails, footsteps, etc.  Once this is done the area is sanded flat, then the planking is re-scribed.  This bare van forms the basis of several conversions.
xdig 130313002.JPG

The simplest conversion, and my first, was to finish this plain box as an inside framed van.  I used a GRS van conversion kit to replace the roof.  I added GRS lamp irons, handrail knobs and wire, Al Kramer solid brass wheels and the usual brake lever from plasticard strip.  The rest is just a re-paint.
xdig 150526008.JPG

The more coplicated version is to turn the basic box into an outside frame van.  This gives it a bit more character.  The framing is added with plasticard strip and end vents are made from plasticard sheet, scribed with planking,woodgrain. outside framing.  As before, lamp irons, handrails, metal wheels and plasticard brake lever finish the model.
xdig 130313003.JPG
xdig 150523002.JPG
xdig 150526007.JPG
xdig 150526010.JPG

The basic box was used as the starting point of the cattle wagon, although with more drastic surgery.  I have two Toytrain vans and two GRS roof conversions which are detined to become louvre sided milk vans.

I hope this has been of interest.

David

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice conversions indeed.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Of great interest, thanks. It just so happens that I have a US style Toytrain van which has been sitting on my shelves for a couple of years just waiting for this sort of inspiration. Excellent stuff!

BTW - when you say, GRS roof conversions .....? The only roofs I can find on their website are dome ended coach roofs (which I have cut up before now to replace metal IP cattle wagon roofs), is that what you are referring to?

Rik

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Rik

Unfotunately not.  GRS used to do a range of conversion kits for LGB Toytrain items which have been discontinued for some time now.  There was a Van kit, which really only comprised a new curved roof, two roof mounts with fixing screws, two strips of plasticard with which to form the curved ends (a shape it yourself job) and a single roof ventilator.  They did mor complex kits to turn the US caboose into a UK style brake van, a kit to convert the balcony van into a single balcony brake van and a kit to convert the tank wagon.  I bought kits sufficient for me needs some time ago.  It is only now that I am retired that I have the time to use them and finish converting my stock.

dig 150525001.JPG
This is one of the old GRS van conversion kits.  Apart from the curved roof, the other parts are still available seperately from GRS.

dig 130608020.JPG
This is the LGB Toytrain caboose, converted with the GRS kit, plus a few extra parts

David

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks David
Not overly complicated, so I can probably replicate it with plasticard and a few GRS bits and bobs.

Another quickie question. Where do you source your lettering for your goods stock?

Rik

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Where do you source your lettering for your goods stock?

Rik

The wagon numbers are rub on Letraset Helvetica Medium Condensed 7mm. The C and R are 25mm self adhesive vinyl letters bought off Ebay. They come in a variety of colours and sizes, gloss or matt, 25mm is actually the smallest size that I found at the time, but was ideal for me. Mine are white (obviously), matt, 25mm. You order the letters you want, so I obviously only bought Cs and Rs (nice Rs some say) You can get various fonts, mine are Arial Bold.

David

David

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
David1226 said:
Rik

The wagon numbers are rub on Letraset Helvetica Medium Condensed 7mm. The C and R are 25mm self adhesive vinyl letters bought off Ebay. They come in a variety of colours and sizes, gloss or matt, 25mm is actually the smallest size that I found at the time, but was ideal for me. Mine are white (obviously), matt, 25mm. You order the letters you want, so I obviously only bought Cs and Rs (nice Rs some say) You can get various fonts, mine are Arial Bold.

David
Thanks David
I'll check out eBay
Rik

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The whole fleet of Claptowte Railway vans `al fresco`.

xP5300005.JPG

David

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
David
Can I just ask, is the internal planking the ubiquitous coffee stirrer?
index.php

Rik

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
David
Can I just ask, is the internal planking the ubiquitous coffee stirrer?

Rik

No, it`s just paint, good old matt Humbrol enamel.  A couple of coats of sand colour to give a base colour, the a few individual planks picked out with the colour lightened with white or darkened with black. The plank joints are picked out with a darkened mix, then a little bit of dry brushing to pick up the moulded grain.  It is the standard finish on all the planking on my models.  It has been commented on in the past, it generally comes up quite well.

dig 080505006.JPG

David

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
David1226 said:
No, it's just paint, good old matt Humbrol enamel. A couple of coats of sand colour to give a base colour, the a few individual planks picked out with the colour lightened with white or darkened with black. The plank joints are picked out with a darkened mix, then a little bit of dry brushing to pick up the moulded grain. It is the standard finish on all the planking on my models. It has been commented on in the past, it generally comes up quite well.
David
Well you had me fooled - excellent finish if I may say so!

Rik

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
dig 150530004 - Copy.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
As there has recently been renewed interest in my topic on the Claptowte Railway open wagons, with new members joining all the time, I thought I would give this five year old topic on Claptowte Railway vans, a bit of a bump up.

xxxdig 160605032 - Copy.JPG

David