UK supplier of blue Li-ion batteries

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,
Due to it becoming very hard to import the Chinese batteries I've been having a good look at (affordable) UK suppliers. These look really good and have been very helpful with communication about them being suitable for our needs. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151176653808?var=450229655769&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
They are still made in China and bar for the label look exactly like those I have imported (including the charger).
Very Expensive as well.............Be interested to hear your experience with them if you buy any.
Yes - £44 for a 5Ah (inc postage). The last pair of 6.8Ah batteries I got from China were £18 each inc postage and even then I think I paid over the odds. They took a month to arrive (via Sweden) but to my mind it was worth the wait.

Not sure how they will get them through our postal system. The last time I sent a parcel by Royal Mail I had to agree to a statement on a card stating there were no hazardous items (inc. li-ion batteries) in the package.

Rik

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
We can ship Li-on batteries in the US Mail, as long as they are housed inside the device they are intended to be used for. So I shipped a loco, a few weeks back, that had a Li-on battery in the tender. That was OK with USPS. They took my word that the battery was in the locomotive. They didn't ask to open the carton.

That said, I buy Li-on batteries from AllBattery.com, and they ship them all by their lonesome. Just the battery itself, in a box. ???

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Received the battery today, not bad as ordered yesterday midday. This is the first time I've ordered or even handled these Li-ion type batteries. I'm really surprised by the size, 2800mAh in a package that about 50% bigger than a matchbox. I haven't done any testing yet but they battery will easily fit on the floor inside a Stainz loco (with the driver in place) and there is still a little space for a small receiver and esc. I'm still going to use a tender as I've repainted it and prepared it so I'll make sure I use it. Agreed more expensive than importing, but barely any wait for delivery and excellent help from the guy who sells them. I'll update here as soon as I have everything fitted and operational.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Very well packed, came in a anti-static bag wrapped in bubble wrap then in a jiffy bag.
Advice well taken, Ross. I've read your previous posts regarding the dangers of these and li-po batteries and have taken careful note. I'm not even going to cut the power leads from the battery pack. I'm going to use a 5.5mm socket with a poly fuse as close as possible to the battery with everything well insulated.