justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
My mistake, i was referring to a other material than per-lite or vermiculite, can't remember the name.(not the first time btw...same forum btw!)
This material is also used for single sided chimneys but water resistant, non absorb also very high temperature isolation.
It was silica or calcium based or ? something

The material i have is perlite or vermiculite (cant remember anymore) mixed with some cement to bond.
It is used for a chimney.
It can be bought as 0-1,5 mm from 0-3mm and from 0-5mm

Perlte is a bit cheaper
Sorry for the mistake.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just to be clear, vermiculite, the mineral, is processed to many different forms. The "expanded" stuff is designed to hold water. The solid stuff can be used with mortar/cement and can be impermable, but it is a weird mineral that can attack metals.

Just wanted to warn people, I know a guy who experimented with this stuff and kitty litter... the result was not good.

So, while I believe some forms of the mineral might work, unfortunately it's often hard to get specifics on these materials when we buy them as ordinary consumers and use them for a different purpose.

Greg

Trainman58

When I grow up I want to be Compo- minus the feret
23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
What about going to a plastic extruding business and getting ground up plastic. I use that and glue it down with watered down PVA. It is light and you can get it in gray and black. It also makes a good tip wagon load if you are filling them and unloading the wagons as a working set.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, might work, and last a while, although you would want a mix of shades to look realistic.

I'd say that's a definite lightweight idea with no danger of chemical action against the track.

Greg

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
What about going to a plastic extruding business and getting ground up plastic. I use that and glue it down with watered down PVA. It is light and you can get it in gray and black. It also makes a good tip wagon load if you are filling them and unloading the wagons as a working set.
Sounds interesting! Do you have any pictures of this application?

Trainman58

When I grow up I want to be Compo- minus the feret
23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Here is the grey plastic I was talking about.65839C6D-F4DD-4B25-B97D-F952C60FEFB7.jpeg

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Interestingly, the latest Garden Rail magazine's editorial suggests using 1-3mm Silver Granite. Apparently available from Derbyshire Aggregates. It looks good in the picture

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Granite is what we use, it's neutral, and lasts forever.

Limestone is popular, but alkaline, which can attack some rails and fasteners.

Marble is also alkaline, not as bad as limestone.

Greg

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
pickle it with some harsh resin and it will look great..
Just like the stuff i have, but you must not pickle it all for your show.....only some fixed pieces