Two small Piko ore wagons into one big one

generalboy80

Registered
8 May 2010
Iowa, now. Before that, Australia, then Britain. W
Best answers
Hello all.

I'm sure you're all familiar with the ugly little ore wagons that come in the Piko starter sets. If not, here's a picture.

83c57453e3934e0ca91110128584e773.jpg

I'm not such a big fan of them. They are approximately half the length of a Bachmann ore hopper, almost as tall, and only slightly narrower. My assumption that two of them joined into a single unit would improve the aesthetics considerably. Some trial fitting showed that if the chassis' were shortened by the length of the end span (from the outer edge of the bogie mount to the end) and joined together, the chassis visuals greatly improve. Done quickly with a hack saw, then neatened up after. The two offcuts were kept for later.

213e0861ec674b35bf1b599ac90de759.jpg

These two pieces were then glued together at the cut ends. Once dried, the two offcuts were then glued across the joint longitudinally to provide bracing. The addition of some plasticard, and filler, provides a box shaped structure, mostly just for aesthetics.

11567d0f8cab49429bb64aeed464d9bb.jpg

One end of each hopper is removed. I cut on the inside edge of the corner bars, then brought the corner bars as close to flat as possible. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of this! Once this is done, the two halves were glued together, then after this had set filling and sanding took place. I did not pay particularly close attention to the join between the two hopper bays as these will be covered with a load when finished. Plasticard is used to cover the open holes. It's a bit of a bodge but it hides the big open spaces in the interior and actually doesn't look too awful up close. Once happy(ish) with this, it was primed. Followed by the inevitable re-filling, re-sanding, re-priming etc as the uniform colour highlighted my non-uniform work!

2eca73e1cf7f49319b01df97af567066.jpg

This has then been given an all over coat of matt black, with the steps in white. Unfortunately my first go at the top coats did not apply particularly well, as can be seen in this picture.

40555f3c8a54459db1283d89cec35151.jpg

I've run out of time to continue with it now, so it will come down to a decision between sanding it back and reapplying, or lettering the wagon and hoping that some weathering will hide the exterior defects. This isn't going to be a show piece so depending on how a mockup looks, I suspect the latter!

Here is a picture of it with a Bachmann coal hopper for comparison.

ad7095b1b4ca46f2843b9e7dba9c513a.jpg

-David Morris

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
a great conversion daveid, likes it i do:clap:

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
What a difference - a great improvement over the original. I wonder what it would look like with the central ladder area sheeted over externally? My only thought (gut feeling, NOT criticism) is that the slightly "open" look at the centre of the vehicle makes it appear to lack strength just where it would probably need it.

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Good stuff :clap::clap: but given the costs unless someone gives me a bunch of piko wagons .......

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
garrymartin said:
Good stuff :clap::clap: but given the costs unless someone gives me a bunch of piko wagons .......
hey up...i ave spare hopper at home if u are interestin? pm me...come with metal wheel...like tht piko ....

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
C&S said:
What a difference - a great improvement over the original. I wonder what it would look like with the central ladder area sheeted over externally? My only thought (gut feeling, NOT criticism) is that the slightly "open" look at the centre of the vehicle makes it appear to lack strength just where it would probably need it.

I think if I was to have done this, I would have cut the central ladder sections out and joined the remainders together. The wagon would then be about the same length as the Bachmann version. This would also eliminate the 'open look'.

A good conversion though and the above comments are purely my own personal view....

9a985aaaeb50408185fe89ceda1f69ac.jpg

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
C&S said:

I think if I was to have done this, I would have cut the central ladder sections out and joined the remainders together. The wagon would then be about the same length as the Bachmann version. This would also eliminate the 'open look'.

A good conversion though and the above comments are purely my own personal view....

I see where you're coming from Gizzy but I think you'd have to do an awful lot of work inside for it to look convincing if you see what you'd be cutting away.
f0ba48bf53d44386a95b2b45a226beed.jpg

I suppose the easiest solution would be to pop a coal load over the top of it.