Trolley ears or hangers....

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I posted this here as it crosses several threads but basically its a scratch build technique.

I thinking to myself as i was making more trolley ears that there must be an easier way..... the it dawned on me! Why not etch them out of .25mm brass sheet??? Well when I get my etching thingy sorted I'll have ago at it.

One picture shows the way I've been maiking them with wire and bead soldered up....

The other is my home grown art work shown 5 times full size they will in reality be 8mm wide and 12mm wide for the double. The bit that is used is the black bit and Ive tried to keep the amount of brass to be etched away to a minimum....
The "blade" that the wire is soldered to has a slit in it that mates with a slit on the hanger, to assemble a suitable bead is placed on the bit that sticks up and the other is turned 90 degrees and slid down a dot of lead free solder paste and a touch with an iron and the job is done!!!!
This is a single item only if I can do one then I'll make up a slab of the singles and do a 6x4" sheet of them...... I may have to tweak the design......
Yes I know I can buy these in the US but the postage is absurd and they are lost wax castings with no insulator on them and the little insulator "males" them. The BIG question is though whether such fine work can be etched in a DIMS environment. But having etched PCBs with very fine tracks on them I think I'm in with a fair chance. maybe the tip of the iceberg here, I can think of a multitude of things I can fabricate using an etch technique.....

ef4cf9f93b75426594743d0ab76a2832.jpg
fd81ef7a64b249cbaec36374e401d58b.jpg
Now all I need is the positive resist and I'm away......​

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Thats a really neat idea Trev.
Could the hanger rings stand a bit more weight ? They look like they might tear or get twisted.
I am waiting with bated breath to see what happens. I've always wanted to try etching, so courage, mon brave - we, the followers, are waiting for you to take the lead...

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Ok yes good thought... I beefed up the rings a bit and I'm also thinking that maybe some solder applied to the parts would give them some "body"or shape and take away the flat look...... That's the advantage of DIY, easy to sort out problems at minimal cost during manufacture......