Tree ferns

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
We've got a really nice tree fern that we've had for about 5 years. Thankfully, it survived the bad winter (I covered and insulated the crown) and soon after removing the cover it started putting out fronds like normal. However, it now appears to have got a bit of a sulk on. The fronds don't appear to have grown as fast as normal (or as many of them). Due to the removal of a large apple tree, the Tree Fern isn't in quite as much shade as it used too - I wonder if this is why it has slowed down?

Anybody got any experience / expertise with these brilliant plants?

jacobsgrandad

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have a 5ft one seems to be opening slower than yast year, but apaty from that is ok. I know that officially they need constant water. Mines never had it. I occasionally water pover the top if it has been hot and dry apart from that I just leave it. A fiend of mine had one, when he wrapped it for the winter ha excluded all light from the crown. It died.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
My partner has one that's been inside all winter, and that seems very slow to respond this year too (it's about 7 years old). Perhaps something to do with the general weather after the bad winter, or as you suggest, too much light?

barryw

lgb/harz
24 Oct 2009
newport south wales
Best answers
Country flag
in my experience if the plant has been used to shade it may take a time to adjust to its new surroundings perhaps some plant food ie blood and bone may help bear in mind most plants are behind this year

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Mel I would expect as Barry notes above it is the sudden increase in light levels. A feed as Barry notes and some light mulch to the base. I had a similar thing happen to some in our lower garden after some heavy tree prunning. Watch also it doesn't suddenly become expose to strong winds, might need some temporary shelter if it is.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Thanks for all the above guys, some interesting stuff. Good news is, it's certainly getting a good watering at the moment.

When it comes to feeding, how would this be done as it has no ground roots to speak of, the outside of the trunk being it's roots as I've been led to understand?

barryw

lgb/harz
24 Oct 2009
newport south wales
Best answers
Country flag
just looked at tree fern care to make sure i was correct and they do advice a sprinkling of blood and bone feed not able to comment on root thing natures a wonderful thing

Netty

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Leyland, Lancashire
Best answers
For whats it's worth my opinion would be to listen to John. Everything is about 3 to 4 weeks behind Mel and the lack of shade as Barry said. No real need to feed it Mel unless it looks yellow but if you do a light ericaceous liquid feed over the fronds will help. No need at all, over here at least, to constantly drip it with water. Tree ferns, on the whole are not hard at all to look after. They've managed by themselves for millions of years, quite possibly even in Shropshire!!

PS "W&GLR" is looking fantastic.

PPs In the unlikely event of it getting very hot like last weekend a misting of the fronds and give the trunk a splash, when not in full sun, will keep it happy.