Transfers Aka Decals

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have used Crafty Computer Paper for transfers on occasions.

They worked fine on the boxcab, and they've worked fine on the gunpowder van, but gold on the reddish brown of the Canadian carriage hasn't worked.

Instead of being lettered for the Denver boulder & Western, the transfers have such lack of colour oomph, that it looks as if the lettering has been removed and the coach used to belong to the DB&WRR.

Anybody got any ideas for golden yellow lettering? I couldn't find anything suitable at Fox transfers (which I've also used on occasions).

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe you need a light undercoat behind the letters.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I also use the lazer and watercolour decal system but when doing gold, silver or white.......
There are two routes Rhino:
1) Get Stan Cedarleaf to do them (http://gold.mylargescale.com/stancedarleaf/webpagedecals/customdecalsx.html).
An A4 sheet (in any colour) about $37 plus letter postage. ( no tax ;-) ). He uses the ALPS system. ( there are a couple of guys over here who will also do them but at a higher price for A4 sheet (maybe cheaper for an A5 size theough.

2) Get hold of the special system DECAL PRO FX that will do gold, silver or white lettering also sold by Crafty Paper.
The kit is expensive to start and it is a bit of a hassle to cary out but results can be spectacular.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yerst - thanks both.

I'd wondered about double banking the transfers, putting the gold on a light grey (on the basis that you can't print white).

But I'm not sure that I've been able to salvage them - I mean, for goodness sake, the sheet of paper cost almost a quid. But it's a bit of a palaver to send it to the dotter, who prints it on the school laser, and then posts it back or waits until a family gathering so that she can save the postage.

So maybe it's Stan Cedarleaf - the trouble is that the family gathering on Friday hit the wallet a tad harder than I'd planned - we were at the southern end of the wine list with prices at £40 a pop, and the whisky shots were ........ ahem !! :whew::whew::whew:

But a good time was had by all...............

Now back to the transfers .......................:emo::emo:

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I tried fiddling around making my own transfers. It was a real faf and I wasn't impressed.

I've been really impressed with Stan Cedarleaf. His results and service are top notch.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Can anyone show us some reults of the Lazer Decals please? I have sacked my Inkjet so my Lazer is now the only option. Am a little uncertain how the process would work, presumably you just Print onto the Paper and the Decals work as normal? Or am I being too simplistic/hopefull?

Particularly interested in the Lack of Oompf as it may work for my East German tatty old rundown look.
JonD

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
PICT0005.JPG >:)>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

You guess right, it's that easy.

It would appear that certain colours don't have sufficient boldness to provide a contrast and, as you'll know, you can only print white with a special printer.

PICT0001.JPG

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Brill thanks, love that No. 2. Have saved that image, so tempted to do a copy.
JonD

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Brill thanks, love that No. 2. Have saved that image, so tempted to do a copy.
JonD

No 2 is the Banta Box Cab (laser kit) on an Essel Engineering replacement Davenport chassis - battery powered 12v AA Nimh :):):):):):):)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely little Beast, well worth the $72 that Banta ask for them. Do I need to drift off my East German theme. Well perhaps sometimes!
JonD

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
i am after some drgw transfers,,, i want the ones that dont come on a clear background that stands out
and they look almost hand painted
anyone know what they are called and who makes them

ta,,,,,,