Train Line 45 DC/DCC Point Motor reviewed

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I've placed a review of Train Line's latest point motor (switch machine) here:
https://sites.google.com/a/gardenra...ine-45-point-motor---product-review-july-2011

For anyone who wants the bottom line fast, this is my summary. Feel free to comment, but before doing so please read the whole review!
"This is an interesting product, but one which I feel is more a "niche" design than something which has widespread appeal. For me, its design faults outweigh the potential benefits from onboard DCC provision and there is little financial advantage in buying the motor. One will be quite enough for my layout."

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
A very thorough and honest review Peter....

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Excellent review Peter. It strikes me that this point motor would be good for an exhibition layout with it's more realistic slow point movement?

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
yb281 said:
Excellent review Peter. It strikes me that this point motor would be good for an exhibition layout with it's more realistic slow point movement?

I agree. The slow movement is really quite fascinating to watch.

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
That's a great review, thanks for posting it. Not being able to move the point by hand is quite a consideration...

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Great review Peter :clap:
I looked at these and I'm glad I didn't get any now as I routinely run through points

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the review. I have 3 of these from the US distributor, Train-Li. Axel at Train Li kindly programmed mine for me and so on arrival it was a very simple installation. I soldered and heat shrinked insulation onto them, which worked fine for me.

I use DCC and don't run through the turnouts, preferring to actually set up my routes, so the issue of not having a manual option isn't a problem.

I read on another forum how thorough Axel and the manufacturers had been in sealing the machines and I understand that they virtually operate when totally submerged! I haven't tried that, but they do cope with the humidity, tropical storms and irrigation systems we have here in Northwest Floruda. I'll let you know how they survive a hurricane if and when we have one!

The slow movement is, as you say, mesmerizing and very prototypical. You see exactly when they are thrown.

Mine have been, touch wood, very reliable in difficult conditions and I'd certainly recommend them particularly if you don't need to run through 'wrong' points.

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Thank you for your review, Peter.

I have to say I like my Train Line 45 point motor and found setting it up quite easy despite this being my first DCC point decoder. I simply programmed the address and everything has been working ever since.

I appreciate, however, that connecting the wires is not as easy as it is with the screw terminal on the LGB/Piko motors. But in terms of the side where the connectors are being furtherst away from the rail clamp, is this not the same with the LGB/Piko points? I could be wrong/confused, of course, as I do not have any :thinking:

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
bunnyrabbit03 said:
(snip)in terms of the side where the connectors are being furtherst away from the rail clamp, is this not the same with the LGB/Piko points? I could be wrong/confused, of course, as I do not have any :thinking:
You are 100% correct Marc. The difference is that "ordinary motors" will be connected to a remote DCC switch decoder so there will be a significant length of wiring somewhere in any case. My primary point is that it's a pity that Train Line have used the same end of the point motor for connections when the other would have been preferable. In truth, it is a relatively minor issue. I'd take wires coming out of the "wrong" end of the motor happily in exchange for connections being via screw terminals inside it! That's a real opportunity for "ease of use" missed.

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Actually, you can run through the point in a trailing direction when using the Train Line 45 point motor.

I have never tried it before until this evening - by accident - I run through the point in the 'wrong' direction. There was no derailment whatsoever. I tried it again in both settings (through the curve and through the straight track) and again no derailment. This is what Gartenbahn Profi in their initial review of the Train Line 45 point motor also stated, hence I was initially confused when reading your review. Mine is the latest version of the point motor - the same as yours.

Maybe you should amend the review or at least add a caveat?

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Hi Peter,

I have a second query (sorry, I am bored today trying to avoid work...): your review states that you can never 'push the point over by hand'. But can you do that with a LGB/Piko point motor - or is this comment related to your earlier point about trailing through a point fitted with a Train Line 45 motor?

Marc

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Hello chaps. I've been doing some checking regarding the points raised by Marc (bunnrabbit03) and would like to advise the following:

1) Trailing through. The manufacturer's instructions advise that the springs on the actuator bar make this possible. Technically, that is correct, but I strongly advise against it as in my tests any wagons pushed through (loco at the rear) derailed at once. With a locomotive leading, the train passed through in a trailing direction and the wagons followed suit at low speed, albeit with some loud clunks as wheels rode up the rails. The best analogy I can give you is of trailing through an LGB point fitted for manual operation. You are pushing against a spring which wants to secure the switch rails in a particular position. The springs in the Train Line motor feel rather stronger than that in an LGB manual lever. So, if you have well aligned points both horizontally and vertically, you may get away with trailing through a Train Line point, but personally I wouldn't recommend it.

2) Pushing the points over by hand. You can push against the actuator bar springs, but you'll have to stand/kneel by the point holding the tie bar over while a train passes. You can't simply push the motor into a different position as you can with an LGB/Piko motor. In the real world, for me this means you can't align a new route by hand using a Train Line motor.

I will update the original review to clarify these two factors. Thanks to Marc for raising them.