Train detection assistance

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

I am hoping someone is able to bring their experience to bear on a problem I am having setting up a detection block using a Massoth feedback module.

I have half of the module (1ab, 2ab) functioning perfectly with a train detection unit.

I am now trying to add another detection block using Massoth digital contacts (8420502). I am using three, one at each end of the block to detect entry/exit and one in the center to act as a braking trigger and validate occupation of the block. This is being used in conjunction with Traincontroller software (Friewald).

I am using a common ground and inputs 3a, 3b and 4a for the three sensors.

The CVs in the feedback module I have been changing are 75 and 85, the configuration of the 3ab and 4ab inputs. I have tried setting them up for directional triggering (4), Level control (2) and also tried 0 (default flank).

Any thoughts on what I am missing or shared experience from someone who has already nailed this?

Many thanks !

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks John,

I appreciate you taking the time to consider my puzzling. I have not been able to find any information on how the software will interpret the data although I suspect from fiddling that it simply looks for a state change and does not differentiate between an open (b) or closed (a) signal. I do not think the detectors i am using send an (a) and (b) output, just a state change pulse.

Would you happen to know how to see the data output from the feedback unit via the Navigator?

All the gear is running the latest firmware, feedback module, 800z and the Navigator (updated in the last three weeks).

Last edited:

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so a bit of fiddling later and I am able to get two sensors to trigger a signal in level mode against two separate inputs however setting up a third sensor with a third address using the available inputs eludes me. The CV settings for the feedback module will only allow me to set one address for 3ab and another for 4ab (in this instance 3 and 4) suggesting that the address for each must be common. This will mean I cannot setup three discreet sensors using 3ab and 4ab inputs.

I will try the configuration tomorrow in flank mode which suggests a discreet signal is sent for both closed/open and open/closed events.

I am now able to confirm all sensors are working and I have also discovered than my Stainz loco was only triggering the sensors intermittently so that didn't help at all....

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
It is my understanding that if you use "Level Control" and say set input 4 to be address 10, when 4a is triggered it will use address 10 and when 4b is triggered it will use address 11 (See section 2.2.2 of the manual).

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Muns, I will try that. At the moment 3ab is set at 3 and 4ab is set at 4. This may account for the apparent limitation.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
That is great info John, thank you. It will make a world of difference to see the data output! I am running Win 10 64 and having no trouble with Bronze, are you running an emulator?

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
OK, Breakthrough! The special function which shows feedback signal detail made it easy, it allowed me to give each detector the correct address in the Traincontroller software. All working well now. On to multi-train scheduling.

I still have a very strange problem where my Stainz loco will not reliably trigger one particular detector. Other locos do it fine. I have lowered the magnet, replaced it with a new one, turned it around. puzzling.

Many thanks John and Muns :party:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

frankando12

Registered
15 Jul 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Just reading your post on the Massoth 8420602 Track contact . I was wondering if on the 8420602 I attached track power to the black wires as instructed in the manual . And connected the brown and black wire to a Multimeter to read continuity and passed a magnet over the 8420602 would I get a reading on the Multimeter. Thanks

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
Just reading your post on the Massoth 8420602 Track contact . I was wondering if on the 8420602 I attached track power to the black wires as instructed in the manual . And connected the brown and black wire to a Multimeter to read continuity and passed a magnet over the 8420602 would I get a reading on the Multimeter. Thanks

The only way I could see the detector working was using that feature on the navigator. I was not able to see it triggering using a MM (or at least the one I have which is not that fancy)....

frankando12

Registered
15 Jul 2011
Best answers
Country flag
The only way I could see the detector working was using that feature on the navigator. I was not able to see it triggering using a MM (or at least the one I have which is not that fancy)....
Hi, I set one up with my piko system the multimeter dose read a short when the magnet is passed over the contact . But you can only use one side of the magnet when you turn the magnet over it dose not read any short . Must have something to do with North and South pole of the magnet.