Track clamps

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, does anyone know anywhere where I could get some Split Jaw insulating railclamps in the uk? Everywhere I have looked at either shows out of stock of not listed anymore. :wits:
Many thanks,
Tim

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I found their clamps page, and looks like in stock, but in usa and doesn't like uk postal addresses on the order page.

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
peterbunce said:
Hi, GRS list them, which doesn't mean to say they have them! (weblink http://www.grsuk.com/index.asp?dept/dept.asp?list=ASJC

Last time I asked GRS for some in the shop, they tried to sell me some Accucraft ones instead on the basis that they were the same thing. They're not, the hex nuts are completely different and the lack of a split side means they are harder to install. Beware!!

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
The Massoth ones can be used as a replacement.
All in stock at Massoth. and Jeremy at Dragon usually has them in stock
tem-Nr.: 8102010 brass screws, 10 pcs.
Delivery status:
status3.gif

Item-Nr.: 8102050 brass screws, 50 pcs.
Delivery status:
status3.gif

Item-Nr.: 8102510 stainless screws, 10 pcs.
Delivery status:
status3.gif

Item-Nr.: 8102550 stainless screws, 50 pcs.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Cool, thanks guys! I didn't want to use the lgb insulating joiners as I just don't like the big yellow blob, so plenty of options there.
Thanks again :D

Hey, those Massoth ones look good!

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
I didn't want to use the lgb insulating joiners as I just don't like the big yellow blob
The Piko equivalent are in black, if you just want a simple plastic joiner. Must admit I'm intending to replace my LGB yellow blobs with proper insulating clamps over time, as I notice the plastic joiners are a little loose and allow too much movement between the two facing rail ends. just enough to cause the odd wheel to bump from time to time.

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
Best place for rail clamps I have found is
Contact Details:

The Forge
Hatton Gardens
Kington
Herefordshire
HR5 3RB
Tel: 01544 230777
Fax: 01544 231600
Email: // ") document.write(name + "@" + domain) document.write("") // ]]> martin@gardenrailways.co.uk
Don't seem to have a website but give them a ring. Got clamps almost by return.
As to yellow insulating joiners I just paint mine black. Hardly notice them.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
That's great, thanks everyone. :D

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe a little late but Jeremy is usually the best when it comes to low prices: ;)

http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/split-jaw-rail-clamps-223-c.asp

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I wondered about that too. I don't use clamps throughout though, so where there is a clamp I've allowed a little extra gap on the fish plates on either side. It'd be interesting to hear from those who have used them right through though.

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
Rail Clamps in hot weather. Has anyone experienced rail buckling in the past when using clamps when it gets really hot - (not that we get much heat except for this weekend). Not got any myself but would be interested to hear any experiences.

Short answer......no!
I have a mix of Splitjaw and Hillmans.......overjoiners, normal and insulating.
I do leave the usual small gap......if the track moves it's not noticable.

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
ROSS said:
Rail Clamps in hot weather. Has anyone experienced rail buckling in the past when using clamps when it gets really hot - (not that we get much heat except for this weekend). Not got any myself but would be interested to hear any experiences.
Given that brass expands by approximately 0.0019cm per metre of track for every degree rise in temperature, I wouldn't have thought expansion was a problem unless track very firmly fixed and every rail butts up tight to the next which is certainly not the case on my layout.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
dumpy said:
ROSS said:
Rail Clamps in hot weather.  Has anyone experienced rail buckling in the past when using clamps when it gets really hot  - (not that we get much  heat except for this weekend).  Not got any myself but would be interested to hear any experiences.
Given that brass expands by approximately 0.0019cm per metre of track for every degree rise in temperature, I wouldn't have thought expansion was a problem unless track very firmly fixed and every rail butts up tight to the next which is certainly not the case on my layout.
My complete layout is all fitted with Track Clamps a mixture of Peco and Lgb track, with Peco being the largest section of the layout. No problems at all with expansion but my track is laid pretty loose with just a few securing nails or screws in place.
JonD