Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

Watching Wheeler Dealers I noticed the use of a metal stretcher/shrinker tool to form complex surfaces from sheet steel. I bought the tools and used them to create a curved strong metal track base. It was quite fun getting 25mm steel angle 1.6mm thick to form curves. Photos show the tools, the resulting strong track base and a close up. Looking closely you can see where the machine has gripped the metal to pull/push it.

shrinker stretcher.png
IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

Geoff

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

Watching Wheeler Dealers I noticed the use of a metal stretcher/shrinker tool to form complex surfaces from sheet steel. I bought the tools and used them to create a curved strong metal track base. It was quite fun getting 25mm steel angle 1.6mm thick to form curves. Photos show the tools, the resulting strong track base and a close up. Looking closely you can see where the machine has gripped the metal to pull/push it.

View attachment 311675
View attachment 311676

View attachment 311677

Geoff
Well that is certainly not going to rot, nice job. Just needs a bit of toning down. Rust ala casey jones snr casey jones snr method of iron filings and vinegar or a spray with a suitable colour. Black or brown possibly?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I must say that looks rather neat....

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States