Top tips for track beds

Nordmij

Registered
12 Apr 2016
SS07PW
Best answers
Country flag
Any tips sizes and shops and how to get gravel to stick?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
3mm to dust Grano (granno, possibly).
You can sieve to get the larger bits for dressing the surface, and use SBR to bond it.

PhilP

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I leave mine free floating, it moves and beds in and like the real thing needs to be refreshed, but the track does not sudden lumps and bumps from earth movement.

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
I use 1-3 mm grit in 25 kg bags.
1696760960944.png

In order to enable the glue to stick better, I wash the grit in a tub 3-4 times until the water is somewhat clear. The wet grit is swept under the track with a brush and then shaped.
It is important that the gravel also surrounds the outside of the sleepers in order to absorb sideways movements.
1696761107627.png 1696761194839.png

Then I glue the wet gravel with “Knauf Kleber- und Bodenelast” between the sleepers and along the outside of the track.
1696761268075.png

When everything is glued, I spray a fine mist of water over the track to clean the sleepers.
The whole thing has to dry for about 3 days - if necessary, cover the track bed so the rain doesn't dissolve the glue.

This is the result:
1696761409465.png

Reactions: 1 user

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
For raised track beds you could use double sided tape.
For "imbedded" or cradled track beds i am going to use a different method:
Some dpc foil on the dirt, 5 cm/2 inch layer of sand.
On the sand i place my tracks, then i am going to sprinkle the gravel to cover up.

Why the foil?
In the summer the ground will be dry and will crack open, your gravel wil dissapear.
Sand is used to water of rain.
For gravel i am intended to use "sharp" gravel that will interlock.

Hope this will give you some food for thoughts.

with best regard Igor

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
3mm to dust Grano (granno, possibly).
You can sieve to get the larger bits for dressing the surface, and use SBR to bond it.

PhilP
My pal in Somerset has had issues with SBR of late with the bond breaking down, I wonder on reflection if he managed to get an internal rather than external quality? Any clues?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
My pal in Somerset has had issues with SBR of late with the bond breaking down, I wonder on reflection if he managed to get an internal rather than external quality? Any clues?
I thought SBR was SBR, unlike plaster, for example, there is only one grade, though many manufacturers, which could account for differences.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Was it 'fresh' (or rather recently) applied?
Depending on the weather, it can take some time to dry/set/cure..

If the substrate moves a lot, it can break the bond between ballast and whatever it is sitting on, but tends to hold to the sleepers.

YMMV, of course..

PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Was it 'fresh' (or rather recently) applied?
Depending on the weather, it can take some time to dry/set/cure..

If the substrate moves a lot, it can break the bond between ballast and whatever it is sitting on, but tends to hold to the sleepers.

YMMV, of course..

PhilP
Well some quite old application, but and possibly the reason he lays 25mm Celtex as a track bed on top of concrete and wooden boards. This could perhaps be the problem with rumbling trains causing micro vibration.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
In the USA I had a friend use Elmers glue with the gravel as it will soften in the rain, but keep the gravel in place. Worked for him for many years til he moved the RR due to moving to another home.