The Garden Railway Manual

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
<p><font size="3"><strong><em>The Garden Railway Manual</em> by C.J. Freezer. 1995 - Patrick Stephens Ltd. - &pound;14.99
</strong></font></p><p>Cyril J Freezer is probably best known as the former editor of the<em> Railway Modeller</em> and the author of many books on railway modelling. For example, his books of track plans for small scale railways have inspired many well known models. He sadly died in May 2009.</p><p>Although <em>The Garden Railway Manual</em> is beginning to show its age, it still provides an accessible and valuable beginners' guide to railway modelling in the great outdoors. Through the ten years it took me to plan and prepare for my own garden railway, this book was a constant inspiration and guide to getting me started.</p><p>Chapter 1 - <em>The joys of the garden</em> - outlines the attractions of garden railway modelling. It covers some interesting topics including a comparison of clockwork v electrical power and a brief personal history of his experiences with garden railways. Chapter 2 examines gauges and scales appropriate for garden railways. CJF clarifies the key features of the various scale and gauge combinations, including N gauge and narrow gauge options. <em>Surveying and setting out </em>is the focus for Chapter 3. For those who are uncertain about where to start in marking-out and ensuring the foundations are going to be level, this chapter provides plenty of practical information and advice. Chapter 4 looks at designing the layout. This plays to CJF's strengths as various options are considered for arrangements of tracks to fit a range of garden situations. The next chapter gets down to the basics of actually cutting the first sod and shovelling ......... soil. If you are uncertain about how to lay paving or what proportions of sand, gravel and cement are most appropriate for particular circumstances, then this chapter is what you need. Chapter 6 addresses the issue of keeping things under cover - ie sheds - and other covers for trackwork. If you are considering building a high level layout in the garden, then the guidance in Chapter 7 will be of particular interest. Topics such as the types of post which can be used for supporting timber structures and how to fix them are covered, as are baseboards and how to create curved sections. Chapter 8 - <em>Ground Level Layouts</em> - presents the reader with a information on track foundations; loose ballast and concrete. It also provides some useful information on building rockeries and brickwork. <em>Civil Engineering</em> is covered in Chapter 9. I must admit that this is the area which attracts me most to garden railway modelling - possibly because it mirrors what happens in real life. Casting platforms in concrete, forming cuttings and embankments, building bridges and making tunnels are all addressed in this fascinating chapter. Chapter 10 focuses on the track. A comparison is made of the various types of trackwork which is available - from off the shelf sectional track to self-assembled track using individual sleepers, chairs and rail. The next chapter looks at point and signal control from manual point levers, point-rodding and lever frames to electrical control. <em>'Buildings Out of Doors</em>' (Chapter 12) compares the strengths and weaknesses of building construction using plastic, metal, concrete and wood. Suggestions are given for modelling brickwork and roofs and how to look after buildings left outdoors. Chapter 13 - <em>Garden Railway Horticulture</em> - provides information on plants appropriate for garden railways. Cloaking high level layouts with hedges is followed by information on shrubs and miniature trees for ground-level lines. <em>Ponds and Waterways</em> form the focus for Chapter 14. Issues such as pond liners, pumps and sumps are covered with a short section on boats. Chapter 15 examines the safe use of electricity out of doors. As this book pre-dates changes to legislation, the guidance on mains electricity needs to be treated with due caution. However, the section on low voltage supplies is relevant and useful, though it is rare to find stud-contact still in use today. Those interested in steam power will find Chapter 16 informative. Though, once again, technology has moved on considerably. However, if anyone is interested in how model steam locos work, the background information is well presented and highly accessible. Chapter 17 is entitled '<em>Outdoor Operation</em>' and covers issues such as the operation of steam powered locos, radio control and clockwork power. The sections on block working and timetables are brief but provide some starting points for thinking about more realistic approaches to operation. There is an intriguing section on dealing with the weather - including leaves on the line and how to avoid getting sunburnt. <em>Pests and Problems</em> are dealt with in Chapter 18. Here you will find deterrent measures for cats, vandals and the weather. Chapter 19 provides a personal account of CJF's experiences with some well known and less well known garden railways including the <em>Bigston Railway</em> and Peter Denny's various garden lines. His <em>Trepolpen Valley Light Railway</em> was what first generated my enthusiasm for modelling in the garden and is still what I aspire to. The final chapter is a study of passenger carrying garden railways including, inevitably, the <em>Beer Heights Light Railway</em> at <em>Pecorama </em>in Devon. Three appendices provide information on further reading, societies and addresses of suppliers, I am pleased to say the book is concluded with a well organised index.</p><p>Despite its age, there is still plenty in this volume to guide and inspire the would-be garden railway modeller. A quick check suggests that the book is no longer in print and the secondhand price indicates that it is rapidly becoming a collector's item. This book certainly generated and sustained my interest in the 10 years or so it took me to move from dreamer to realist. For me, it was well worth the initial outlay and, if you can lay hands on a copy in a secondhand bookshop, I'm sure you too would find it a good read and and useful reference book.
</p>

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Just read this thread, CJ writes a good book, but this one is now &pound;30 on Amazon

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
It is dated but a good book. Sound advice.
Often on ebay for a lot less than £30.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
I have one if any one wants to offer a fair price

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
I have this book, it is a very very good reference manual, of all the books I have on garden railway construction, this one is the most all encompassing.

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
I have it, but it's definitely biased towards fairly non scenic 0 gauge and gauge 1 layouts running on raised trackbeds, which isn't my cup of tea. There isn't that much detail on ground level scenic narrow gauge stuff. For that reason I'd hesitate to recommend it, especially at £30! I found his indoor railway books much more inspirational- the Model Railway Design Manual is particuarly good and my copy has seen much more reading than this one.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
That's interesting to read your comment Matt, my copy of Model Railway Design Manual is well thumbed, but as my line is mostly at ground level I think The Garden Railway Manual might not be to my taste

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Whether raised or ground level, the basics of needing a solid base support still apply for many people, like a wood or concrete base, especially if they live in a frost heave zone. I live luckily where I can float track on ballast, but even then almost everything else in the book has some realevance to building a layout. Thats why I consider it so valuable. My next layout (if we ever get the property walls rebuilt) will be raised, almost all concrete with built in planters, this book will be a constant compainion again inside the Library Research Facility....err, OK... my bathroom. :eek:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
£3 on ebay right now

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Garden-Railway-Manual-by-C-J-Freezer_W0QQitemZ260515326391QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Books_NonFictionBooks_NonFictionBooks_SM?hash=item3ca7ec69b7

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
There's a lot of useful stuff in there, don't get me wrong- I'm just not convinced it's the best book out there for us (although I've not actually read that many others...). I found the design manual more use, look at it that way.

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
<p>My wife bought me one and after a quick look through I thought it a bit "Coffee table", sort of "Blue Peter". Prob very good for a beginner tho. </p><p>Lots of cuts and pasty type stuff from Pecorama and Bekonscot. Most of it is common sense IMO. I Have nt looked at it since. Soz If offend the fans, but it's not my cup of tea. </p><p>My version was 15.99 btw</p><p>Just my 2 pennies.</p>

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I bought it, and I really, really wished I hadn't and if the Scouts had a jumble sale it would be top of the pile . Pure unadulterated overaged cobblers. Who cares about his pre-war namedropping O-guage pals? I don't.
I later bought Tag Gorton's book, no way related to LGB, no way related to the conditions I was running in, but Oh! The inspiration! the photography, the wording: this book inspired me more than any other.
First one to PM the wording 'I'll take the damned thing off your hands' gets it -probably before Chrimbo too - on the proviso that I'll cover the postage(€6) but the sad case that takes it gives some pennies to Laura's costs in some way and doesn't stick it on eBay straight away, can't say farer than that, can I?