The Budget Builder, part I - Aluminium Furnace Tape

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
With all the redneck jokes about duct tape, I almost hate to suggest this stuff, but.....

Do you have a building or car that 'glows' due to light seeping through?

Do you want to add 'seams' to an otherwise plain sheet roof or wall?

Do you need to fill a gap with putty and need to back it with something so it doesn't fall through?

Do you need 'windows', but don't want to cut holes? Or don't want anybody to be able to see the interior?

Do you need a model mirror?

Do you need 'chrome' trim?

Do you need harnesses for your horses?

Do you need a quick and easy moisture or insect barrier on the bottom of a wood model?

Do you need to conduct electricity but don't have anywhere to hide the unsightly wires?

Do you need to hinge a small opening, but can't attach a real one?

You can do all those things with furnace tape. It's basically adhesive backed foil. You can cut it in strips or shapes with scissors as easily as paper, rub it with a round tool to emboss it to irregular surfaces. Bugs won't eat it, light can't penetrate it, if sealed down properly water won't penetrate it. It's polishable. paintable, tough yet summat flexible, heat resistant, and sticky on one side for easy mounting..... and it's cheap. - As in the neighborhood of $8 for a 75 foot roll. You just cut it to size/shape, peel the backing, stick, then burnish it in place to get any wrinkles out. The only major drawback is sometimes it's a bit TOO sticky should you decide you need to remove it in one piece to reposition it.

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
The stuff is a saviour of civilisation as it is holding together most air-con and fridge plants and boilers, I patched my sailing dinghy when it sprung a leak at the far side of Loch Lommand,it was still holding the water out six years later, never leave home without it, !!!!

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
its known as speedtape in the RAF,,,,,

Used to use it on aircraft to hold damaged fastners in place or temporary repairs on aircraft panels... great stuff

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
daveyb said:
its known as speedtape in the RAF,,,,,

Used to use it on aircraft to hold damaged fastners in place or temporary repairs on aircraft panels... great stuff

You meen our aircraft are held together with tape!!!! Now that's scary