Technobots Programmable Soundcard With Deltang Receivers

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just installed an Alan Bond / Technobots programmable soundcard in my Fowler diesel loco.

The card is designed to sit between the receiver and the ESC - the plug from the rx going to the unit and then another from the unit to the ESC. With Deltang this is not normally available as the rx and ESC are combined on a single board.

I tried using a Deltang Rx102 (standard receiver) with an ESC - this was easy to install and triggered the soundcard well, I was disappointed in the level of control which the ESC provided. Nowhere near as precise and controllable as I get with a Deltang Rx65 - and I do enjoy slow-running and shunting.

I tried outputting the Ch1 settings through one of the pads (Pad8) but I think the problem was the Deltang was only outputting 3.3v whereas the soundcard preferred 5v.

In the end I compromised. I used the Rx102 to control the soundboard and the Rx65b to control the motor. They are both bound to the same 'Channel' on my Deltang Tx22 and so I get the best of both worlds - without too much complexity.

The sound is synthesised rather than digitised real sounds (as with the DigiSounds card) but can be re-programmed easily by pressing buttons on the card. If I get fed-up with this sound, I can re-program it to sound different.

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Another great job Rik.
A Deltang conversion on one of my locos is on the to do list.

Reactions: 1 user