SWMBO Extension Plans Threaten the Cogges Railway!!!

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi All,

We have just had planning permission to extend our house.

The footprint is going to go slap over a significant piece of railway - the loop on the houseside of the garage run through...

The (very poor) track plan is attached and I am going to lose the space on the side of the house for any loop- currently it is r2- there will just be a wheelie bin path left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auzCkhOGBBg also gives you a sense of the problem if you have time to look towards end of clip.

I will be really disapointed if the railway has to retreat to the veg patch with the garage as a engine shed.

Any ideas? Lawn area infront of the picket fence of the veg patch is so far off limits to railways (grrr) . However the picket fence you see from the railway is not a boundary so that is all for negotation.

I know this is an involved question but please help as I am a bit down about this.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Sorry, can't think of a solution to replace that big loop other than moving the loop into the garage (perhaps make it so that it folds out of the way when not in use. As for restoring the long run, could you make the bit that runs through the veggie patch a figure of eight?

I have to say, I love that bit right at the end of the video when the train stops, you get up to turn off the camera, tap the boy on the head and he gets up and follows you holding his teddy. Real heart-warming stuff ........... and another garden railwayer for the future I bet :clap:.

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
CoggesRailway said:
Hi All,

We have just had planning permission to extend our house.

The footprint is going to go slap over a significant piece of railway - the loop on the houseside of the garage run through...

The (very poor) track plan is attached and I am going to lose the space on the side of the house for any loop- currently it is r2- there will just be a wheelie bin path left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auzCkhOGBBg also gives you a sense of the problem if you have time to look towards end of clip.

I will be really disapointed if the railway has to retreat to the veg patch with the garage as a engine shed.

Any ideas? Lawn area infront of the picket fence of the veg patch is so far off limits to railways (grrr) . However the picket fence you see from the railway is not a boundary so that is all for negotation.

I know this is an involved question but please help as I am a bit down about this.
HI MATE...hw are u? so can u do it again by using a plan for extra exe..........so i mite figuring out the tracks plan for u? if tht ok?

example..draw a red dotted line mean i know tht u are having extension on the plan then i will sort out for u for the tracks where it go and easy way.....coz i loves doing plans....winks....

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
.....just got planning permission for my house extension and made sure that the extension would not encroach on the railway - although, at one point, it comes quite close:banghead:

....maybe one of the advantages of not having a SWMBO......:happy:

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Just a few random thoughts, which may prompt a bit more discussion.

If the garage is staying, then it becomes a garden building, and you may consider an indoor-outdoor railway like Mel says. Even though I have a small stock shed, I would still give my eye teeth not to have to put stock on the track every time I wanted to run.

One of the standard objections to train track is that sometimes it does not enhance the garden .You could negotiate for an area which is entirely yours to do with as you wish, but a better idea might be to get the extension builders to throw in a nice raised bed around the lawn to match the house. Don't aim for the railway to be obtrusive, but maybe consider a terminus down the side of the lawn. The garden is probably going to be a mess whilst the extension is built, so turn that to your advantage...

Personally, ground level layouts don't appeal, and gradients usually turn into trouble, so consider getting the track off the ground.

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
Best answers
[H3]best idea i can come up with at present!!!!.take it up ward, 2 levels are better than one????.hope this can be considered. allan.[/H3]

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hey thanks chaps! No I had not thought of the raising up idea! I like that one has given me some ideas. The garage is staying i just can't run through it any more. One thought what about a curve through the garage existing at the side and across the lawn... mmmm. I will make sure I keep u up to date.

BTW a tunnel under the extension with a perspex lifting roof as part of the extension floor went down like a lead baloon!!

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
When I read the headline I imagined SWMBO was being extended. Not a pretty sight?

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Dtseam... yes a terminus down the other side of the lawn. that might be fun as the train could leave termini 1 (in the garage) and head off for a few laps of the veg path and then arrive at termini 2 on the side of the lawn... wouldn't have to be too intrusive...