Suggestions for a reputable coal fired locomotive builder

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
I cannot comment from personal experience with other coal fired manufactures, but I can state that John Shawe seems to be a Master Builder. My Shawe/Roundhouse Jack runs perfectly. The only problems I have encountered were as a result of my inexperience, and were corrected with personal help from John.
My%20Coal%20Fired%20Jack.jpg

For a video of my learning curve, click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1KaUtmqZBc < Link To here.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
steamtom1 said:
I cannot comment from personal experience with other coal fired manufactures, but I can state that John Shawe seems to be a Master Builder. My Shawe/Roundhouse Jack runs perfectly. The only problems I have encountered were as a result of my inexperience, and were corrected with personal help from John.

For a video of my learning curve, click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1KaUtmqZBc < Link To here.

Indeed Tom. My Fowler is an excellent locomotive ? pride of the line and yes ? logistical backup and help is part of the package one receives ?as one does from the other builders as well. John advocates collection by the owner so that driving lessons are included ? something rather more difficult to arrange your side of the pond Tom. :)

This Sabre debacle I have to say is something of a 'one off' in the world of coal-firing. There are some owners of coal-fired steam (just as in gas-fired) who just don't read the instructions properly however ? and I must put my hand up to this on occasion. It is very important with coal firing certainly. This pre-supposes instructions are supplied and this does not seem to be the case with later versions of Sabre..:(

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
I just love all this coal fired stuff and if it wasn't for the fact I have regular access to something a little bigger I would without doubt be ordering one for my personal collection. Meanwhile I am with the help of friends part way into building a coal fired Simplex (Steamplex?) slightly bizarre and may take a while................

Happy steamings,

John

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
If it's a 2ft gauge one I want photos!

New Haven Neil 2

Registered
24 May 2011
Isle of Man
Best answers
You got it Matt - but it started life as a lifeboat with a steam engine....go figure. I'll let John tell his story!!!!

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
Oh well , like many good tales this involves sitting in a pub near a good railway having a little to drink late into the night. (In this case the RH&DR).

A friend had purchased a stationary steam engine to put into a steam launch he was building, but as the engine did not have reversing gear he eventually decided to buy another engine for his boat rather than overcome the mechanical puzzle to acheive reverse thrust on his boat.

So there we have a very nice 4x4 stationary steam engine sitting on the bench 'going spare' . Now in the true narrow gauge tradition any 'spare' equipment should be cobbled together and made into something. My first project to 'use up' this spare engine was to consider building steam boat. To this end I aquired a very cheap but nice battered old ships lifeboat hull (rivetted aluminium construction) and designed a drive from the engine through a lister Marine gearbox to acheive the ability to reverse the prop.

And so my boat project sat on the trailer park out in the open with no real workshop facilities for about a year and never really happened. In the end I think deep down I have too much respect for the sea to 'set sail' (or whatever you do in a steam boat) without any real nautical skills. I'd be happy on a cannal or river but we don't have any of those. Coupled with the lack of workshop facilities I had sort of run out of steam to do the project.

And so, after a while I came to the conclusion that I should cobble together a coffee pot type loco as a toy for the Groudle Glen railway. (At least I couldn't sink it!) A couple of beers went into thinking about how to build a frame, and gearing etc, but it sounded like quite a bit of work. A frriend then had a brilliant idea and suggested I get a 2' gauge Simplex with a duff engine, throw the engine away and install the stationary steam engine in its place, with the the transmission off the steam engine flywheel taken through the existing Simplex reversing box and 2 speed gear box to the existing chain drive to the wheels. Brilliant, the Steamplex concept is born......

I have aquired a vertical boiler from a Merryweather fire pump to go on it. The loco will also have a weir pump as we reckon monitoring the water level is going to be the most critical aspect of running the loco.

All I can say is watch this space. The project may take a long time as at the moment it is 'big lumps that need putting together and plumbing in' , naturally I don't have anywhere near enough spare time to get on with it, but one day it should make a good quirk and curiosity type loco.

Happy steamings,

John

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
True madness John; I'm impressed!

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Oh dear, this is a very scary coincidence....
(with apologies to John for paraphrasing his post)

Years ago I bought a single cylinder steam engine from a bloke in a pub (who turned out to be the local blacksmith) for no other reason than I wanted a 'proper' steam engine.

So there we have a strange 2 1/2 x3 stationary steam engine sitting on the bench 'going spare' . My only project to 'use up' this spare engine was to consider building steam boat. To this end I aquired a set of drawings from selway fisher for an 18' launch. I should note at this point that I was living (alone) in a terraced house with 8 sheets of marine ply stacked in the hall.
I marked them all out on the dining room table and then got married, and had to put the bits away.

And so my pile of plywood and the engine sat in the spare bedroom with no real workshop facilities for ages and nothing really happened. In the end I think deep down I have too much respect for drowning to 'set sail' (or whatever you do in a steam boat) without being able to swim. I'd be happy on a canal or river but my partner, who is a life saver, would be a nervous wreck. Marriage, coupled with my total lack of ability in the practical arts meant that I had sort of run out of steam to do the project.

Later on I acquired a small vertical watertube marine boiler and a workshop, where they both sit folornly in the corner. The plywood has mainly been converted into buildings for the garden railway, and I still haven't learnt to swim.

I look forward to seeing more about John's project.
PS. ...and my engines' got reversing gear :D

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
Blimy David, that is such an incredibly similar story, perhaps we can arrange a double header some day if ever we get out 'steamboats' finihed.

And thanks Matt, its good to be mad :D

Happy steamings,

John

(With apologies for the thread drift, we should get back to coal fired loco builders now)

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
brianthesnail96 said:
Very nice indeed Tag! Is that actually your engine?

If I was to go into coal firing (and doubtless I will, someday) this is the route I would take, especially having had the pleasure of seeing Tag's Edrig run- faultlessly- on several occasions.
Not mine no. Today however I ran another Ragleth ? this one complete with whistle and draincocks. Was so busy that I did not take any photographs. I will get some from Paul Milner who collected the loco from me, plus track and stock that Brandbright delivered to me so that Paul could take the lot back home to New Zealand. The loco was superbly built and ran very well indeed on its first firing after testing by DJB engineering. Mine will hopefully be ready by Llanfair... this will leave me most of the winter to add a few bits and pieces. nice to see after the continuing series of disasters from Stafford.