Street Size

bottino41

Registered
4 Dec 2022
Ivins Utah
Best answers
Country flag
What is the approprite width for a two lane street/road in 1/29 scale.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Good rule of thumb, 12 scale feet wide per lane (minimum). Road vehicle max out at about 8 feet.
Of course, when you do roads to 'scale', you will realise just how much room they take up. Conversely, if you make them too small, they look silly when populated with vehicles.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
It's possible to have some "implied" vehicles on a layout, e.g. a bus stop with a few figures queueing (or even just one) puts the idea of buses in the viewer's mind.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
In the UK streets in residential areas are on average 14 ft, I went and measured one. So with tape in hand, if you require the size of a US street, I suggest measuring it ;)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think it is fair to see that many of the things we would like to adorn our railway are very large. Sometimes a bit of selective reduction is well worthwhile. This is my level crossing in the garden, there are 2 1:24 vehicles here and the width is 8” or 20cm if you prefer. Whilst this would not work so well for a fast road, with only one vehicle in sight a bit less could be got away with. However if you wished to display big—rig semi’s then more would be advisable.
IMG_7267.jpeg
In other areas I adopt some selective reductions, for instance the station below is some 25-30% smaller overall (but doors of course scale) than the real thing but maintains the look and feel of the real site.
IMG_7268.jpeg
SANY1791.jpeg

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
... a bus stop with figures queueing (or even just one) puts the idea of buses in the viewer's mind.
How prototypical, a 'bus scene', with, naturally, no buses in sight !
We have a place here that thousands of buses go to on a regular basis, it's called Not in Service.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think it is fair to see that many of the things we would like to adorn our railway are very large. Sometimes a bit of selective reduction is well worthwhile. This is my level crossing in the garden, there are 2 1:24 vehicles here and the width is 8” or 20cm if you prefer. Whilst this would not work so well for a fast road, with only one vehicle in sight a bit less could be got away with. However if you wished to display big—rig semi’s then more would be advisable.
View attachment 314657
In other areas I adopt some selective reductions, for instance the station below is some 25-30% smaller overall (but doors of course scale) than the real thing but maintains the look and feel of the real site.
View attachment 314656
View attachment 314658
Somehow this has been posted twice, I shoukd be able to delete it later.

David Palmeter

Fun in the Central Hoosier Flatlands
7 Dec 2017
Noblesville IN
palmeter.com
Best answers
Country flag
Most members in our modular group operate 1:29 scale trains but, since there is a major dearth of 1:29 scale vehicles, they generally use 1:32 scale. This allows the roads to be a bit under 1:29 scale and still look reasonable. We use some vehicles in 1:24 scale but they can look a bit bulky.

David Palmeter

Fun in the Central Hoosier Flatlands
7 Dec 2017
Noblesville IN
palmeter.com
Best answers
Country flag
February 2023, Indianapolis in the Central Hoosier Flatlands Fairgrounds.
The CSX double stack is 1:29, virtually all the automobiles are 1:32 scale; the fire trucks are the First Gear Diecast weird 1:34 scale. Our leader, James the Wondrous Bearded One, built the Fire Station, the passion pit and the replica of the world famous, but no longer existent Indy icon, the Tee Pee Restaurant. He has learned to size the roads (and parking places) to match the vehicles regardless of local gummint edicts.
More here: Modular Layout

IMG_7412.JPG

IMG_7423.JPG

IMG_7425.JPG

BELOW: Speaking of scale, that is my 1:24 scale Hartland 0-4-0 (Deltang RC) and a string of 1:24 scale cars - Hartland and Kalamazoo. I was sure you would want to know and, yes, all the vehicles on my indoor home layout are 1:24 or 1:25 scale.

IMG_7414MINE.jpg
Any questions?