Stainz 2010 Locomotive Running Rough

Tripoli

Registered
7 Dec 2020
Allen, TX
Best answers
I have a 1979 Stainz 2010. It’s been beat to hell for half of the last 40 years, but mostly was still running just fine. A couple days ago, it stated struggling to run forward. Runs smooth in reverse. Forward, it’s going about a third slower than normal, and it sounds like the motor is struggling. I’ve never had it apart, and aside from occasionally pulling cat hair out where I can see it, it’s never had any maintenance of any kind. Any suggestions? I’m somewhat mechanically inclined, and a little less comfortable with electronics.

81AE297B-67D1-4DE3-9B1B-90749D487862.jpeg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
From your photo:
It looks like one axle may have jumped a tooth, so the motion may be binding in the forward direction?

PhilP.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
If PhilP is right, then you should be able to remove the bottom plate carefully with the loco upside down.

Then you can lift one of the axles and re-align the quartering....

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
At that age if its done some miles without any maintenance it will need to be stripped and thoroughly cleaned. If you are lucky the motor will be ok but the brushes will probably have had it. In terms of electronics it will be basic.

Tripoli

Registered
7 Dec 2020
Allen, TX
Best answers
I don’t think it’s an issue with the quartering. I compared it to my other Stainz, and they looked the same. I’ve found that if I run it hard for a few minutes, it sometimes frees it up, and it runs well again for a while.

Here’s a video of it:

You can see it hesitate at one point, and then during the back half of the video, you can hear it making some noise, almost sounds like rubbing in the motor.

I don’t have the first clue how to service it. From what little I’ve read, it sounds complicated.

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
At that age if its done some miles without any maintenance it will need to be stripped and thoroughly cleaned. If you are lucky the motor will be ok but the brushes will probably have had it. In terms of electronics it will be basic.
I agree that the most likely cause are worn brushes. Also I noted that the pickup shoe is not flat against the rail. It could well be that it too needs replacing along with perhaps a worn spring.

None of these tasks is particularly difficult and involves removing the motor plate.

Reactions: 1 user

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Your 2010 probably has a clam-shell motor block considering its age. Still not too difficult to service. Just need patience and perseverance and something to catch the parts, including the two thrust bearings I recently mentioned in another post. Check the on-line videos.

Edit added: Here is a link to one video:

Last edited:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Your 2010 probably has a clam-shell motor block considering its age. Still not too difficult to service. Just need patience and perseverance and something to catch the parts, including the two thrust bearings I recently mentioned in another post. Check the on-line videos.

I have one looks very similar, metal gear, raised numbers etc, and it is definitely a clamshell.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Just watched the video again myself. I'd forgotten about the flying brushes when the wheels come off! Beware! Also a tip for the reassembly. I use a piece of painters tape to hold the brushes in place when I put the wheels back on.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A good clean and new lube would also be appropriate, do not loose those thrust bearings and as was said dismantle on a tray. From memory old clamshell motor units come out easier than the current ones. Take a digital picture at each stage if you have a digi camera or camera phone then that will be your put back together plan in reverse. Tje first pull apart is always the hardest, but in fact the hardest part is finding the courage to do it.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I don't suppose you're close to any other forumites who could help you out?

Tripoli

Registered
7 Dec 2020
Allen, TX
Best answers

Great video! Definitely makes me feel like I could manage disassembly and reassembly. What I'm not sure about is actually performing maintenance on the motor, which wasn't covered here. I've never messed with electric motors before. I had to google what "brushes" were. :blush: I wouldn't know where to begin with what to buy, how to clean, and how to install.

Tripoli

Registered
7 Dec 2020
Allen, TX
Best answers
I don't suppose you're close to any other forumites who could help you out?
Sadly, I'm a loner. Best I have is a good local train shop. They have an outside repair guy, but he's extremely slow, and very expensive. Just not worth it for a Stainz, I don't think, though it was my first model train.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A small tip or 2.
1) Always work over a tray or something similar to catch dropped bits
2) Take pictures of every step, so you know how it all goes back together, and hopefully avoid the left over spring situation

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
There are two different kinds of brushes involved. The ones I've referred to are small graphite cylinders that make contact with the back faces of the wheels. I believe those that Greg is referring to in post 10 are internal to the motor itself and are not really user replaceable parts. (In the GSC Resources there is an explanation of how it has been done. It's not simple.)I think most of use would just buy a replacement motor (or find cheap donor loco to cannibalize on Ebay) when there is a problem with the electric motor itself.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Correct Phil, I'm suspecting worn brushes in the motor, and I thought you used to be able to replace them. The motor might just need a commutator cleaning (junk between segments)

Greg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The motor might just need a commutator cleaning (junk between segments)
While you've got the motor block open it certainly would not hurt to blow the crap out of the motor (both figuratively and literally) with some contact cleaner. If you do, make sure you put a small drop of model train oil on the bushings where the rotor shaft exits the body of the motor after you're done.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Remember to use contact cleaner that is plastic safe.

CRC Electronics cleaner is a better bet in the USA. Contact cleaners sometimes have lubricants in them (comes from the old "TV tuner" era.

Greg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
If this is truly a 1979 stainz engine, it could be the 'growler' version. The first Stainz and Elias engines were 'growler' motor blocks.