Stainless Steel Code 332 Switches

Yardtrain

Registered
22 Jun 2018
Western NY
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone still Manufacture Code 332 Stainless switches ?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Note: I've only mentioned US suppliers, since shipping this stuff would be unreasonable in cost, the OP is in the USA

Sunset valley only does code 250, but they make SS if you get stuck.

Aristo is available new old stock, on the Facebook swap and shop sites and eBay. (best bet for price)

AML was going to make them, or did make them, but you won't find it.

H&R trains use to sell them, but seems they only sell flex track now, this was the excellent TdV, Trefileries des Vosges track, still manufactured but only H&R imported it.

I'd search eBay, or if you want new, you could go code 250 with adapter joiners to the 332.

Greg

Yardtrain

Registered
22 Jun 2018
Western NY
Best answers
Country flag
What about Nickel / Silver ? Does anyone make 332 switches

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Nickel silver not great for outdoor G scale.

What frog number / radii turnouts are you looking for?

Perhaps read this:

I have many pages on track, switches, etc.

entry page:

Greg

Yardtrain

Registered
22 Jun 2018
Western NY
Best answers
Country flag
I'm considering getting a AristoCraft #6 Wye Switch. Would it be okay for MTH engines. Like the Hudson, GS-4, BigBoy, Dash-8

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Please notice that the Aristo #6 wye is not what you are thinking...

A frog number is basically the ratio between the 2 paths, and while the Wye is the 1:6 ratio (length vs divergence), you must realize this is different from a normal switch.

In a normal switch, one route is straight... and the other diverges by the frog number... and a #6 would be fine with the Hudson, GS-4 and MAYBE the bigboy (depending on brand), and clearly the dash 8

BUT the Aristo WYE has TWO diverging routes, and it is basically two #3 frog switches in one... it will NOT work for a USAT big boy, and may be marginal on the Hudson and GS-4. The Dash 8 is mth and will run on toy curves.

What manufacture are the locos? If they are all MTH, then no problem, they are all designed to work on toy curves... I originally answered in reference to the USAT Hudson, but reading further you may be all MTH.

Greg

Yardtrain

Registered
22 Jun 2018
Western NY
Best answers
Country flag
Greg,
Thanks for clarifying what exactly a #6 Wye is. Based on that I guess I'll stay away from the Wye switches.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A y is a y shaped point rather than a left or right handed one. Can be useful for saving space but if the curve (radius) is too shallow may be an issue for your needs.

Confusingly what you also call a Y (in a 3 pointed thing) is a triangle to us brits!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
No, you don't have to stay away necessarily, please answer the question about the manufacture of your locos.

MTH #1 scale locos can take really tight curves.

Aristo #6 wye:
proto_wye.jpg

the frog is about a 2.66 actually, not really a #3

see this page for more about the Aristo wye:

Greg

Yardtrain

Registered
22 Jun 2018
Western NY
Best answers
Country flag
Greg,

Yes Presently all engines are MTH engines. Hudson, GS-4, BigBoy, Triplex, Dash-8, F3.

......John

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so you need to get on an MTH forum and ask what the minimum curvature these engines will take.

I would guess they will run on almost anything, but doesn't the MTH catalog specific minimum track curvature?

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Greg why do you write Y as in Y points (or switch as they are also known) as wye, surely they are known as Y points (switches) due to their shape:cool:
Because Greg is a Wise man! It would be pants if he was all front though

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Greg why do you write Y as in Y points (or switch as they are also known) as wye, surely they are known as Y points (switches) due to their shape:cool:
It's an American thing.

In the US they have turning triangles for complete trains which are known as Wyes....

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag

Wye is the correct name in the USA... I don't correct you when you use "colour".

By the way, wye was the correct way of writing "Y" as a word, from 19th century England, check the Oxford dictionary ;)