Spring loaded points.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I have a feeling that I have asked this before.

Has anyone out there come up with a simple method of returning points to their set lay after a train has pushed through them.
So trains will allways take the same route on a passing loop and the return to the main line when exiting, and then reset the point,

Whilst I know there are the manual switches, I find that the "spring" tension is too tight at times and can cause lighter vehicles to derail when pushing through.
Adjusting the spring tension has been a bit hit and miss with me.
Leccy point motors will allow pushing through, but don't return to the set lay afterwards, which if you forget when running a single train,
gives you head on collision if you then run two opposing trains.

In effect what i want to do is, allways have the train in one direction staying on the main, and the opposing train going into the loop, no matter how many or few I run.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I found that LGB points do what you want, but NOT with plastic wheels/very light wagons. The other thing that will help is to keep the switch rails lubricated....

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Leccy point motors will allow pushing through, but don't return to the set lay afterwards,
Massoth have some newish servo-based point motors that mount on LGB (and similar) points. They have a return to set position after being pushed through feature. Look for....

8444000 Switch Drive EVO-S​

8444010 Switch Drive EVO-X​

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
If the loco does not push through an LGB point check the back to back measurement of the wheels. If it is overwide it tries to push to early, does not succeed & derails.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have a feeling that I have asked this before.

Has anyone out there come up with a simple method of returning points to their set lay after a train has pushed through them.
So trains will allways take the same route on a passing loop and the return to the main line when exiting, and then reset the point,

Whilst I know there are the manual switches, I find that the "spring" tension is too tight at times and can cause lighter vehicles to derail when pushing through.
Adjusting the spring tension has been a bit hit and miss with me.
Leccy point motors will allow pushing through, but don't return to the set lay afterwards, which if you forget when running a single train,
gives you head on collision if you then run two opposing trains.

In effect what i want to do is, allways have the train in one direction staying on the main, and the opposing train going into the loop, no matter how many or few I run.
Agree with Gavin.

I use the LGB manual lever method, but all my stock has metal wheels. I also add weight on lighter wagons, real logs or cat litter gravel....

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Ok food for thought.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have two spring loaded points. One at each of the two return loops. I have found that light springs work best for me. Without a photo to show you, these springs are of the type used to hold the safety chains up on screen doors. They are very flexible. I tie one end to the point bar and the other to a ground staple or nail driven into the ground.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I left the springs off mine so the train runs clockwise the first time around and anti clockwise the second time.
Mine is a single line with a loop at each end. It can be seen under "Cane line construction" in my blog see About the Railway in signature

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
simple(ton) solutions:
if on an elevated layout - a short piece of thin fishing line and a fishing weight. drill a hole an inch or so beside the switchbar.tie line to bar, pass through hole, tie the weight. let gravity work.
(had two working that way till dismantling that layout)
if on ground - screw turnout to a piece of wooden board. tie rubberband to switchbar, fix the other end of the rubberband with a pinprick or nail to the baseboard.
(the amount of sunny days regulates the frequency of replacing rubberbands)

plastic wheels - i have only two wagons with metalic wheels. if a car/wagon with plastic wheels does not cut open the switches, one or more fishingweights glued under the wagon work wonders.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
simple(ton) solutions:
if on an elevated layout - a short piece of thin fishing line and a fishing weight. drill a hole an inch or so beside the switchbar.tie line to bar, pass through hole, tie the weight. let gravity work.
(had two working that way till dismantling that layout)
if on ground - screw turnout to a piece of wooden board. tie rubberband to switchbar, fix the other end of the rubberband with a pinprick or nail to the baseboard.
(the amount of sunny days regulates the frequency of replacing rubberbands)

plastic wheels - i have only two wagons with metalic wheels. if a car/wagon with plastic wheels does not cut open the switches, one or more fishing weights glued under the wagon work wonders.
Like the idea of a weight and line.
For plastic wheels I glued metal washers to back of some of mine to give extra weight.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have a passing track on the far side of my L shaped loop. point is, it has to be reliable as its well out of reach from the control area.

I use the lgb manuals on it, and, the majority of my trains have plastic wheels. So far they have been very reliable. I dont even have issues with FRR stuff.., the loco always is leading the train.

if ive had issues, it is far more likely to be points not fully returning flush to the rail, as opposed to ‘push through’ problems.

clean and lubed is the ticket

here is what I do , at least yearly.
points are removed, thoroughly cleaned, metal surfaces polished and contact points and screws cleaned;
ditto the internal spring and lever assembly.

moving parts are then dry lubed with graphite or teflon;
and apparently critical, the points must be level, and not twisted. And, rails must be seated in the plates/chairs, or otherwise flush against the ties/sleepers.

fwiw, it is very important to keep out minute grit. My points are on soft wood mulch or large stone tiles so they dont get rain splatter from soil or ballast.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Bump Through Point.jpg
This is how it is done on full scale narrow gauge railways. Gravity, not a spring, does the work.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 316125
This is how it is done on full scale narrow gauge railways. Gravity, not a spring, does the work.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
It’s works as it’s simple

Also gravity is more reliable than springs,

springs wear out over time- gravity doesnt

Also gravity is free!

Dan

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA