Splitting the Track into sections for power

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Thankyou for the response to "Loco Amps"..

If i was to split the trackwork into 2 sections I would need a LGB "Booster" to accompany my LGB central station ?
If correct could you not use another central station instead or am i being silly now ?
Thankyou steve

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Steve maybe im being silly but isnt that a bit like a Bath with two hot taps fed from two seperate boilers .... the only reason you would split the track is if you are running Anologue and want to control two trains seperatly not sure why you would need to do that if using Digital

Tony

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Tony, if your loco fleet draws more amps than the main unit can supply then you do need separate power districts so that you get enough power unless you buy another more powerful central station that can supply enough amps.
Many in G uprate from MTS to Massoth for this reason.
You cannot use another central station but need the power extended 55090 which is a booster taking power from the mains but the control signal from your central station.

See my diagram down the bottom of page1 of this thread
http://www.gscalecentral.net/m190517

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
If an MTS unit can only supply 5 Amps and your locos pull 1 amp each under load then you can have five running in each section, if it's a loco shed you may well have five sitting on shed and two moving which is fine as the stationary ones are probably only drawing 0.2 amps each to power lights and sound.
So for a large layout with say 3 big stations and 4 single track sections between them you might make all 4 single track sections actually powered off one booster, (assuming max one train in each section), while each station has a separate booster due to more power being drawn in those sections.
Alternately you might make one it one station and one single track section powered off one booster but that one extra train on the single line may be enough to overload the station section.
The main thing is that each section needs insulating rail joiners in both rails at each end to fully separate it from the next power wise.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Another reason to split your track into sections using "DCC breakers" is to prevent a short in one section affecting running in the other sections, whether using boosters or not.