sound or no sound

tel

fishkeeping,gardening,garden railway,looking after
30 Oct 2009
north yorkshire
Best answers
i have recently bought an lgb santa fe 1217 on ebay,the loco is in great condition and runs very well,inside the tender is a speaker and at each end a conecter,also there is a length of wire about 4 inches long that is not connected to anything,i thought about takeing the loco apart to see if there is anything to make the sound work,does anyone have any instructions for this loco,or is there anywhere i can get it checked out ,i would appreciate any help anyone can offer, many thanks,Tel (from the JakeTel railway)

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
If the LGB model number ends in a 2, for example 20232 then it is fitted with a sound system.
The wire you mention needs to be connected between loco and tender, there is a sound switch in the cab, a volume control under the tender and a battery compartment under the tender coal. The screw securing the coal load is quite well disguised.
If you open the link below you should have four download options. Namely, from top to bottom, instructions, exploded diagram, advanced instructions and sound sample. Don't worry about the German labeling, the text in the downloads is also in English (and French).
http://www.champex-linden.de/lgb_pr...0467cf6/1a1a8c1b02e335f4852569bb007ce016.html < Link To http://www.champex-linden...4852569bb007ce016.html

I hope this helps.

tel

30 Oct 2009
north yorkshire
Best answers
many thanks for the information and the brilliant link,i fear this loco i bought has no sound altho there is a speaker in the tender,but no battery or volume control,maybe i could have sound fitted,but not sure of the cost,thanks again regards Tel

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
My soundcards are in use with many LGB locos and they cost £49 plus £4 post and packing. Details are at http://www.mylocosound.com/ < Link To www.mylocosound.com or you can call Peter Spoerer on [size=14pt]01603 260562. We provide a chuff which varies with the speed, a plain or chime whistle and an optional bell. There is no programming involved, all adjustments are with a screwdriver.[/size]

[size=14pt]Regards[/size]
[size=14pt]Peter[/size]

tel

30 Oct 2009
north yorkshire
Best answers
Thanks for the info,i will bare it in mind,i am takeing the loco to p&s hobbies in york for them to check it out first then i will decide,it sounds very good,is it hard to install or can a simpleton like me be able to do it(i am not very good with electronics)thanks again , regards Tel.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Tel,
It's pretty simple. Six wires to connect, all with screw terminals so no soldering. Two wires from the existing battery, two from the motor and two from the speaker. All these should be present already if the loco had a sound system in the past.
The bell is automatic so no wiring needed. Likewise the whistle if you are happy with just one blast each time the loco moves off. If you want to remote control the whistle then there will be a bit more wiring and some soldering to do.
Regards
Peter

tel

30 Oct 2009
north yorkshire
Best answers
many thanks for info,it does not sound to bad to do, i have a feeling that the loco has not had sound before altho it is strange there is a speaker in the tender,regards Terry.