Snapping the ends off Massoth decoder boards!?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Most of the Massoth decoders have extensions to each end of their circuit boards, partly to provide mounting holes for screw fixings, and partly because that is where the labelling for the connections is; however their instruction booklets all say that if you are mounting the decoder in a very restricted space, these extensions may be "snapped" (their word) off to reduce the overall size of the unit.
Naturally, I'm very wary of snapping bits off a piece of kit that costs over £100 - but for one application I have in mind (hiding an "S" module inside the little coal bunker of a Field Railway steamer) it is necessary to make it fit - and as Massoth specifically mention it, I assume that it must work? My best guess would be to put a good pair of pliers right up to the cut line, and then gently snap it while praying profusely to the Gods of Modelling...? Or do you cut it with a sharp pair of snips or something? Does the board need to be scored before snapping it, or is there already an etched groove already there?
So, has anyone here actually done this, and if so how did you go about it? I suspect several of the answers I get will be along the lines of "very, very carefully".... ;)

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Do you have a photo Jon?
I would cut with some strong snips away from the line, and then file smooth.
I would also advise that you wear a face mask and eye protection when you do this....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Going here and looking for the "S" sound decoder (under "products", then under "eMotion decoders") will show you what I mean:
http://www.massoth.com/index.en.htm...ims (sic) may be snapped off"..... Jon.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I think some decoder boards that I've come across in the past have had a partial score or notch where the board is intended to be snapped. However, Mr. Xacto razor saw or Master junior hacksaw works best for me when I need to cut circuit boards. I'd rather saw than risk snapping.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I think you're probably right, Nick - sawing is at least more controllable, much less risk of an "oh ****" moment!
I think the boards ARE grooved for snapping, but it's a big risk to take, hence my question of whether anyone here has actually done it.
My only worry with the saw would be getting (conductive) dust/swarf into the circuit board tracks... probably a good blast with an air spray afterward would be a good idea.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
ive used a juniour hack saw to cut the ends off the bord off, when i fitted a xls into the railbus..

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Zerogee said:
Most of the Massoth decoders have extensions to each end of their circuit boards, partly to provide mounting holes for screw fixings, and partly because that is where the labelling for the connections is; however their instruction booklets all say that if you are mounting the decoder in a very restricted space, these extensions may be "snapped" (their word) off to reduce the overall size of the unit. (snip)
So, has anyone here actually done this, and if so how did you go about it? I suspect several of the answers I get will be along the lines of "very, very carefully".... ;)

Yes, done it with a couple of XL decoders, simply using finger pressure. No problem at all. The extension pieces are very lightly grooved to provide a point of "give". If you feel uncomfortable using your own paws, just use long-needle pliers.

Perhaps I should add that I've bent the pieces to be removed upwards, so they end up alongside the screw terminals.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Zerogee said:
Most of the Massoth decoders have extensions to each end of their circuit boards, partly to provide mounting holes for screw fixings, and partly because that is where the labelling for the connections is; however their instruction booklets all say that if you are mounting the decoder in a very restricted space, these extensions may be "snapped" (their word) off to reduce the overall size of the unit. (snip)

Yes, done it with a couple of XL decoders, simply using finger pressure. No problem at all. The extension pieces are very lightly grooved to provide a point of "give". If you feel uncomfortable using your own paws, just use long-needle pliers.

Perhaps I should add that I've bent the pieces to be removed upwards, so they end up alongside the screw terminals.

Thanks for that - I guess the advantage with the XL/XLS units is that they have the terminal blocks at the ends, which gives you a firm line against which to snap the circuit board without too much fear of disturbing any of the tiny components on the main part of the board - but the S doesn't have the screw terminals; one end is probably OK because it has the line of plug sockets, but the other end has micro components soldered to the board right up to the line at which it needs to be snapped or cut - hence my trepidation..... guess when it comes down to it, I'll just have to try it and hope for the best. As Massoth themselves say it's OK to do, maybe they'll be magnanimous if/when I break something!