Slow Progress on a Tiny Line!

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
When I returned to g scale modelling after a 3 year break, i was full of big ideas!! I had been given permission from the domestic planning dept. to build a Garden Railway so long as it did not impose too much on the overall space.
So with the usual initial enthusiasm I went ahead and started to lay track etc. my entusuasm wained after a week or so as I began to realise that the task I had set myself was probably far too ambitious, given the fact that, the so called summer weather also includes a fair amount of torrential rain (we moved 8 years ago and have not had a `proper` summer here yet!)
so days went by with out much progress.

I had a rethink and decided to drastically reduce my plans, I have always had a leaning towards tramways ( too many hols in Soller?) so I decided to focus on developing a small tramway layout .
So currently progress continues, I am using just one side of the garden approx 50` in length and no more than 8` wide.
The actual track plan will consist of no more than a long oval with a passing loop ( perhaps 2) a couple of sidings and a link to the garage for stock storage..

So my original idea of a large loco layout has been replaced by Trams ( and streetcars under rule 8 conditions) although I have retained a Mallet and a couple of other large locos which will see an occasional appearance.

A long way to go yet but some photos attached.008.JPG006.JPG007.JPG010.JPG011.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Steve,
Sometimes less is definately more. Nice start to a layout that has a chance of being something rather than a Pipe Drpeam that never gets anywhere.
JonD

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thing is I find it difficult to accept a smaller space as being acceptable, but realising that starting to build a large line will result in my entusuiasm running out before I have got anywhere close to completion.

I do find that I do get sidetracked often by my current Kato RhB interest which is also under construction!! :eek:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
slow and steady winds the day steve

Dave500UK

50 yrs playing trains
3 May 2015
Fylde Coast
www.livewyre.co.uk
Best answers
I'm the same. If a project goes on too long I lose interest. It has to be started, worked on as much as possible continuously until finished, or if I get sidetracked onto doing something else, I never get round to finishing it off.
That's why my track is compact, scenic and completed to a working model in a couple of months.
I like your plan but the far end looks like drainage could be an issue or is there sufficient fall to drain away floods, something I had to address on mine?

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
It actually has quite a slope to it from the top end (where the track is just placed around a pile of soil & stones which will be a rockery eventually perhaps) If you look at the 1st pic the slope is apparent in the `stepping` of the fence panels.

Whwn we first moved here 8 ish years ago I actualy l built a line which went all around the garden, it was actually what is best described as a single track with revere loops at each end, it started in the garage ( 1 reverse loop) and then went twice around the garden finishing at the 2nd reverse loop which was situated where the 2 girder bridges are in the pics.

It took approx 11 mins for a train moving at approx scale speed of 25mph to traverse the whole line! But then I got fed up and sold it all off around 3 years ago!

I have lost the photos of that line , except for my current Avatar which shows a Sumpter Valley Mallet, cros6cca_7.jpgsing the 2nd reverse loop below just before it would have entered the garage.

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Best answers
Country flag
Bigger is not alway's better from my own exspearance I think there is a fine line between the railway being a hobby or a chore one of the reasons I down sided a couple of years ago

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
mole said:
Bigger is not alway's better from my own exspearance I think there is a fine line between the railway being a hobby or a chore one of the reasons I down sided a couple of years ago

I agree. While the foot print of my railway has remained as it was, I have jettisoned alot of detail.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good Steve.
Whatever you build by way of a layout has to sit comfortably in your own head if you get my meaning.

Being of an OCD nature I have no problem maintaining interest and it's good to detail parts of the line as you progress over time. As Mike says slow and steady growth s good in the long term.

It's also good to see the line evolve.
When I look back to 10 years ago my beginnings look crude and rushed.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
005.JPG 004.JPG 008.JPG 004.JPG A few more pics progress still slow though! Buildings , plants etc now seem to be a priority!!

Reactions: 1 user

French Chuffed

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Brittany
Best answers
Hi Steve, I will be watching with interest as I am moving back to Blighty and will have to downsize, from the rather large and never finished setup I had in France.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Strangely I find that drumming up the enthusiasm is sometimes difficult!! I think its a case of having done it all before, I sometimes think I should have perhaps done something different, but what i cannot think Having been through most of the G Scale & 16mm possibilities ( even tried 5" Gauge once!!)

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
It's a good point Steve - enthusiasm for the hobby varies from person to person.
The " raison d'etre" for anyone is so different.
It probably helps if you have a well defined end goal to your railway - it works for me anyway.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Has this thread been updated since 3rd October 2015 please? I can't seem to find continuing pages..

Sarah Winfield

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Sarah, it has been nearly two years since Steve posted on the forum so I think that the thread probably will not be updated any time soon.
I can remember buying an LGB US streetcar from him about 6 years ago and then he 'fell off' the G scale interest only to return with this thread about his new line. He then bought a Streetcar back from me!
I hope all is well with Steve

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Mike.

I rather liked his layout and was attracted to the posts by his use of the word "Tiny". Since I have a small garden any link to the use of adverbs like, "small", "tiny, "little", "cramped", etc i tend to peruse for ideas.

I have received a few layout suggestions and these make full use of my space. I would like a run as long as possible but to look as if the railway is going somewhere.

Sarah Winfield

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Steve is still alive and kicking, he posts from time to time on RMweb. He's back into the smaller scales these days.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Mike.

I rather liked his layout and was attracted to the posts by his use of the word "Tiny". Since I have a small garden any link to the use of adverbs like, "small", "tiny, "little", "cramped", etc i tend to peruse for ideas.

I have received a few layout suggestions and these make full use of my space. I would like a run as long as possible but to look as if the railway is going somewhere.

Sarah Winfield
Sarah, if you're looking for tiny you won't get a much smaller outdoor layout than mine. A passing loop, siding and hatch into shed. I posted a thread about 3 years ago here:
https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/schwarzwaldbahn.306052/