Short Railway Post Office car turned MoW Tool car

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I built this as part of a scratchbuild challenge for another board, but it came out well enough that I thought I'd share it here, too.
I started with a pile of odd bits that I'd gotten in trade for other bits.
P1100020.jpg

and a photo:
mail10.jpg

While this was not going to be a model of this or any other particular car, it will be constructed based upon what I've been able to discover of general practice. The model will be a 'composite' car - an older 1890's wood car rebuilt on a steel frame in an attempt to comply with changes in the law in 1912-13

The limiting factor on length was the Kalamazoo roof, so the car would have to be really, really short.... 27 scale feet in 1:24! I built up the floor from some Bachmann parts and stripwood.
P1100021.jpg

Then bodged the body to match
P1100023.jpg

To try to maximize the interior space the car is platformless. Some mail cars were built this way to discourage vagrants and break-ins. This is an early test fit of the roof.
P1100023_01.jpg

The interior is sort of minimalist (for now anyway)... A sorting table, a few pigeonholes, a bag rack, stove, restroom with dry hopper, supervisors high desk, and a water cooler. I simply didn't have some of the things I wanted to add... or a lot of room!
P1100021_01.jpg

Its should look something more like this:
mail9.jpg

The RPO end was often "blind" to keep folks out. The wood carbody was reinforced with steel on the ends in an attempt to keep an older car compliant with changes in legal requirements.
P1120024.jpg

Adding LGB steps and handrails, plus clerestory light glass and vents
P1010020-1.jpg

And a wash of grime...
P1010023-1.jpg

The Barber roller bearing freight trucks got backdated into something that vaguely resembles short cast frame Commonwealth trucks.
P1010021-1.jpg

P1010020_02-1.jpg

So that I could fit brake rigging....
P1010023_01.jpg

To reproduce that chalky old paint look I wanted, I took the Pullman green color and added an equal part of light grey, then a drop of dish liquid and diluted it with regular tap water. Once it was all dry, I "buffed", for lack of a better term, the car sides with a dry paper towel to bring out some of the under colors...
P1010020_04.jpg

P1010021_02.jpg

Then I added a bit MORE grey and water to do the roof. and last was some "licorice" craft paint and a thin brush to do the fresh(er) "tar" on the roof seams

P1010022_02.jpg

I think it came out pretty well for being built from old junk and $10 worth of new parts.

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Truly inspirational; that car has a real history and bags of character. Well done!

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
This one's been a slow burn, but I've finally decided I've got to have a go (though mine will still be in postal service). Have looked at the C&S's timetable and will introduce a daily Mail train in each direction. Meanwhile I've located a likely baggage car..................