DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hello All,

Hopefully somebody may have some ideas regarding the following please ....,

I'm putting an XLS chip into an LGB 2095 loco with 2 motors and keep getting a short circuit ?, bogies have 22962 1 and 22962 2 on them ( 4 wires from motor bogies),

I've placed wires to each motor separately to check direction and the both motors hum as they would via a digital controller (Massoth), I've put all wires together and again the motors hum as they would do, both motors turn when power is applied so all OK so far.

I've now connected all the motor wires into the XLS chip .. 2 into motor+ and 2 into motor - then to make sure I've put them in the correct way for direction placed wires to the top screws on the XLS only for it to get a short circuit ?, any ideas why this is happening please. Thinking the chip may have been at fault I've done the same with different XLS chip but the same happens,

Many thanks for any ideas at all.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Is each motor-block 180 degrees out to the other?

You could have a whisker of wire (it is all it needs) between two connections? - Getting more than one wire into a decoder can be problematic.

Are you sure the underside of the decoder is not shorting to a weight, or other metal surface?

How old / tired is the loco? - You could have a sick motor, and be drawing too much current, so the decoder is shutting down.

Put the loco on blocks. Connect to skates on one block..
See if the motors run. - If so, you can check both sets of wheels are turning in the same direction.

That will do for a start.

PhilP

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
What happens if you connect each block to the decoder individually?

After connecting both blocks, check continuity between wheels/skates on both blocks to see if you have accidently caused a short between the rails. If so swap the pickup wires for one block only.

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

Thankyou for the replies, I will have a look into it,

The decoder is defiantly not shorting out as its on a piece of hard foam so its got to be something else, I will keep you informed of the progress,

Cheers

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

Well it seems that I have a motor bogie problem, as .....

Checked both separately and they run but #1 is sticky and looks to go slower,
Put this one via the decoder and it "shorted out" very quickly.

Do you think this means a new motor or is there another way around this issue ?

cheers

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You *can* mess about taking the motor apart, cleaning, lubricating, and getting it back together again, but I personally would not bother..

Remove / check this bogie very carefully. - It could be out of quarter, by just one tooth?
Or,
You may have a worn gear in the block?

I would change both motors, and keep the good, old one, as a spare for a single motor model.

Why change both?
Buhler changed the design of the motors slightly, and 'older' and 'newer' may not match in speed over the same voltage range.

PhilP

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
If you have an older motor that is not functioning well in a 2 motor loco then replacing both with newer motors is best practice for keeping them aligned from voltage/speed perspective. They all wear differently over time.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You *can* mess about taking the motor apart, cleaning, lubricating, and getting it back together again, but I personally would not bother..

Remove / check this bogie very carefully. - It could be out of quarter, by just one tooth?
Or,
You may have a worn gear in the block?

I would change both motors, and keep the good, old one, as a spare for a single motor model.

Why change both?
Buhler changed the design of the motors slightly, and 'older' and 'newer' may not match in speed over the same voltage range.

PhilP
Sounds like the designers were IT bods in another life

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I would place the engine upside down and test the engine using power attached to one axle at a time while watching motor direction. This will verify track power and motor power are wired properly.