Scratchbashed Ford TT Railtruck

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I keep telling myself "No! No!No!" I do NOT need to start another project until I get a few of the 8 or so I already have in progress finished.

Seems, I don't listen too good.......

Last winter I built a rather nice 1918 Ford Model TT 1 ton c-cab box van from a diecast panel truck and various other bits.
PB260038.JPG

While cleaning up for Christmas, Kim accidentally dropped it (actually it rolled from where she put it and and crashed) - and it came apart again. She didn't find all the bits before the idiot dog decided that one set of wheels was a chew toy :(

Today I found a couple HLW shorty flats and a New Bright freight car truck while looking for detail parts for the 0-6-0, and..... I just couldn't resist.
P1010022_01.jpg

It will be a dummy for the moment. Until I replace the drive in my 4 wheel climax. The single axle drive out of that should be about perfect to power this thing - just pulling another HLW flat turned into a low sided trailer. (needed for the power pick-ups)

The Rio Grande Southern had it's Galloping Geese", so "Trotting Turkey" sounded to me like a good name for a poor mangled TT

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Great kitbashing potential. I look forward to seeing this one develop.

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
P1010020_03.jpg

It's to a temporary stopping point until some traded for parts arrive....

I'm thinking this guy for the driver.
e61e_1.JPG

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
That looks great Mik love the driver :clap:

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I'd like to introduce you to a couple fellows you may be seeing more of in the future.
P1010020_05-1.jpg

The fellow driving is named Mercer, but most folks call him "Deacon" because he's usually playing hymns on his harmonica, or singing them if his hands are busy. He's a right giant of a man at 6'8" and almost 300 pounds. He's also the hardest working man you're likely to ever meet. He has to be, it's still real hard for colored folks to find a good job, even 'up Nawth' - and he'd rather die than go back to share cropping in Alabama. He's been with the AV since he got out of the Army (9th Cavalry) back in '19. The local section boss really likes, and more importantly to Mercer, trusts and respects him - because all he has to do is say "Mercer, this needs fixed." And he knows that by the end of the day it will be done, and done right.

The fellow on his right is Shawn, but the rest of the crew calls him "The Leprechaun" for his red hair, and the fact that he only stands about 4' 9"! He is small, wiry, and also a very hard worker, probably just because it never occurred to him not to. He spends a lot of time with Mercer because it tends to keep the other section hands from playing tricks on him - like stuffing him headfirst in a barrel and pushing it down a hill. Besides, he likes the music and the quiet talk.