Scratch building "Sandfly"

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I have just finished scratch building a new battery radio control loco for my railway. Baldwin 0-4-0ST, builders number 7860 of 1886, worked on the construction of the Darwin to Pine Creek railway in Northern Australia. With huge oil lamps and frequent movements it was nicknamed “Sandfly”. South Australian Railways took possession of the loco in 1889 and it became SAR 107. When the commonwealth took control of the Northern Territory in 1911, the loco joined the Commonwealth Railways. It worked its life around Darwin and was finally retired in 1950. It is now restored and on display in the old Qantas hanger in Darwin.

My model is G scale which gets 45mm track close to the prototype 3' 6" gauge. The motor is from a local electronics store, the wheels are from Slaters in the UK, the valve gear is etched aluminium and everything else is 3D printed in ABS on my Flashforge Adventurer 3. The battery is 2 x 4 x NiMh AAA in the boiler. The radio receiver/speed control is above the battery in the saddle tank and the speaker is in the cab roof. That left nowhere for the MyLocoSound sound card so it ended up between the frames under the boiler. When spray painted black it is almost invisible.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSoundIMG_5693.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
A very attractive little loco, Peter. It's surprising where the gubbins can end up in scratchbuilds, especially smaller locos.
Video to follow?

Rik

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
A very attractive little loco, Peter. It's surprising where the gubbins can end up in scratchbuilds, especially smaller locos.
Video to follow?

Rik
Video will follow eventually but we have had an unusually wet winter and my garden railway is a jungle right now.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Degauss

Registered
9 Jun 2017
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Video will follow eventually but we have had an unusually wet winter and my garden railway is a jungle right now.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Sorry to say Peter but you may need to move to boating as La Niña is on the way back.
Nice loco.