Sandstone & Termite?s latest Diesel #19

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Despite not being a diesel fan ( I have only one small Bo-Bo and a couple of small shunters), I decided I would build a ?larger? one as they are much easier than a steam loco. I don?t build exact models but like to choose bits from different prototypes. After perusing many photos, I decided I wanted a two hood type, with a small low hood at the front, and a cab that stood higher than the main hood. It would have a very similar outline and livery to my existing diesel and would start a Sandstone and Termite ?family? which would look good when double heading.
I bought an Aristo motor block ART29351 from wholesaletrains.com . This is the one used in the L?il Critter. I had another spare set of bogie side frames left over from a previous build.
Planning
My usual method of drawing the plans is to take a side-on pic of the bogie and obtain either a pic or plans of the loco. I then crop the loco pic below the running board and paste both in to Word. If I adjust the screen ?%? (?zoom?) to 68%, the screen prints full size on A4 paper.
e2085ac451df44e981939532ebe4a48a.gif

I shortened the drawing to suit the wheelbase and the total length I wanted. I?ve decided 500mm is the absolute max length for any vehicle on my line, so this one is 480mm.
Then I used Word Draw to outline around the pic to get a simple, full-size drawing, like this.
f55ba383baa74261935608f0cef3ad4f.jpg

Now the hardest part for me - how to fit everything in and be able to access it, with the minimum number of plugs and sockets. This planning usually takes more time than building it !
I had bought the 2.4 GHz speed controller and receiver, and a 3000 mAh LiPo battery, and the sound card, so I had their sizes. I made sure the hood was wide and high enough to fit them in.
Getting started
Finally I actually started work. First I built the dummy bogie from bits of 25x25mm aluminium angle, some wood and used old plastic Bachmann wheels. They are 3mm smaller diameter than the powered wheels, but who?s going to notice when the side frames are the same level. This shows the top and undersides. The yellow is a bit of scrap steel for weight.
61d9ee6b23184d62883248911f2b5431.jpg

The lugs on top of the bogies were ground off to create a flat bearing for the baseplate to swivel.
Then I cut the baseplate from 1.5mm styrene and glued 10x3mm aluminium bar underneath for strength.
0704f5e6389f428e8ff44ff385fe04d5.jpg

Then I started making all the body pieces, from 1.5mm styrene. It?s amazing how many bits there are. This pics shows most except the cab roof. I?ve learnt from experience that it?s best to put all the detail on BEFORE you assemble it !
a8143ba3e1964579b22b3fef76185e93.jpg

I?ll use 0.5mm clear acrylic for windows and build up a sort of frame inside the cab so the acrylic slides in from the top. This allows the windows to be fitted after painting. This pic gives the idea.
08dcc333ab2b4816989f720b69dc91b4.jpg

Here?s the top of the long hood and one of the sides.
c9f3fba3c3ca4ad29beb5182a31f7bb1.jpg

b84b5cc1f55b4be4af906a1916788903.jpg

All the hood and cab sides will glue/screw onto the base. All electronics fits in the long hood so all wiring to motor, battery, switch, sound card, charge points, and lights is fixed in place. The only plug/socket is to the speaker which is mounted on the hood roof which will be held in place by small magnets.

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
This time, I decided to paint and line all the parts before glueing together. It seemed to be easier to work with. I used vinyl lettering from GScaleGraphics.
e10e875752314cb283fd62187e415048.jpg

I managed to glue it all up without ruining any paintwork.
I used 2.4 GHz radio control (Hobbyking) with a 3000mAh Li-Po battery and a Talking Electronics diesel sound kit. The battery is under the electronics at left and sound board on right. I built my own interfacing circuits to allow the diesels revs to speed up before the loco speed. (see this thread: http://www.gscalecentral.net/m146037
142c8654c95d46f89d2a87761ec63e31.jpg

The speaker is mounted on the hood roof with is held to the body by small magnets.

I got a bit carried away and decided to mount the driver on a servo so he rotates to face the direction of travel! I also had to perform a sex change operation on the driver as I only had some seated female figures!
30299e86e4b9479992a6c9a1afbbed44.jpg

1d16408a35574e5babdd02e84d69f370.jpg

f746e73159a241f79783fc9cd12b1065.jpg

And here?s the finished product:

51dab93dbb9a4cf6a97ee6aa0e41e5eb.jpg

The only problem is the light weight of LiPo batteries compared to NIMH. I had to add a lot of lead!
Here?s a link to a short video on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU4euQyA_qA

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Inspirational as ever, Greg - thanks for the step by step construction guide. I'll pinch your idea for the windows on my next build - never had much success trying to keep glue off windows.

I like the idea of using Word draw tools. Does the original drawing remain beneath the new or is it a layer which can later be deleted?

Rik

PS The swiveling driver is a nice touch!

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
Absolutely brilliant. You make it seem so easy. The 'reversing' driver is inspired. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yet more ideas to [strike]pinch[/strike] ponder - looks great. Might build myself a diseasel after seeing yours Greg (but probably track powered for the trailer layout). I, too, find Word a useful tool for drawing:clap:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Inspiring to say the least. I'd like to see a video of the loco in operation with the moving engineer.

Jerry Barnes

Garden Railways, Live Steam, Jukeboxes, Record Col
27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work there, quite a few ideas you came up with that I can use. I also like the window drop in, solves a lot of problems-good one!

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ingenious Greg. Very well done.

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
Inspirational as ever, Greg - thanks for the step by step construction guide. I'll pinch your idea for the windows on my next build - never had much success trying to keep glue off windows.
I like the idea of using Word draw tools. Does the original drawing remain beneath the new or is it a layer which can later be deleted?
Rik
PS The swiveling driver is a nice touch!
That's for the nice comments everyone.
Rik - I just draw the basic outline in Word Draw over the drawing - in this case just 3 boxes - cab and 2 hoods. Then Group them together (hold Shift while clicking on the 3 boxes) and select Draw|Group. You can then drag them off the drawing and add all the detail you want and drag them back over the drawing at any time to compare.

You can see the rotating driver in the video - here's the link again. It's about 18 seconds from the start.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU4euQyA_qA

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for posting the link to the video Gregh.

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Good stuff Gregh, and the driver on a servo, very clever. :)

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
a master class form a master.. love it:clap:

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant Greg , the loco and your line is brilliant but i really do like the wood retaining walls another idea of yours i may just have to use.

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Great stuff, great loco thanks for sharing .

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Steve said:
Brilliant Greg , the loco and your line is brilliant but i really do like the wood retaining walls another idea of yours i may just have to use.
Just bits of treated pine from lattice work. Don't know how long they'll last - been in 6 yrs now. I strongly suggest you put something behind the wood to hold the soil, such as black plastic. These scale versions don't work like the real thing and the soil behid washes out.