Sand House query

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
How did the hopper work to deliver sand to the domes on top of a locomotive? What sort of release mechanism was used to release the dried sand?

On a line with only a few Porter tank locomotives, would they bother anyway, or would a bucket and a ladder do it, do you think?

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Try here mate! http://www.ghostdepot.com/rg/mainline/san juan branch/chama sand house.htm

All you ever wanted to know about sand but were afraid to ask!!!!!!!!!!!
bb0e6365494e460b907bded09ad2bb05.jpg

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Minimans - many thanks for that tutorial - much as I expected, apart from the air to load the sand hopper coming from the locomotive. It goes to explain why there may not need to be a release mechanism below the top hopper bin, as once the sand is blown up there the loco is already underneath ready to receive the dry sand. I was worrying about sand left in the top container getting damp again, or how a sort of "tap" of "wc-flush" mechanisn would work with powdered grains rather than a liquid.

Looks like I need to find a smaller container for the top of the sanding plant. Till then it looks like crews will have to continue with a ladder and covered bucket!

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
on many minor lines the sand was delivered in a handcar and was filled in with a ladder and a can....that is till nowadays.

Greetings

Frank

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Thanks for that, Frank. The C&S is supposedly set in 1941, so it looks like bucket technology rules!